Trusted Contributor

Re: Get Your Financing Lined Up

@Kachina624 wrote:

I hope this chicken coop thing doesn't catch on.  My neighbors in the subdivision can't even clean up their dog poop let along adequately care for chickens and their mess.  I can only imagine the flies and smells in hot summer.

And a rooster!  Why is that necessary?  There would be complaints galore.....or a civil uprising.

I agree.  There's a reason it's against the county code where I reside to have farm animals.  A few people in nearby neighborhoods have had chickens in their backyards, and thankfully they were reported and the chickens are gone.  Some people just don't have good sense.  

Trusted Contributor

@kate2357   Have you checked your city or county code to see if farm animals are allowed in your area?  It's against the county code where I live, thank Goodness.  

Esteemed Contributor

@walkingal 

Since these chickens are not near me ... I was staying out of that war. But I just googled and yes, you can have up to 8 fowl if the lot size is over 10,000 square feet. The lot sizes in our area are fairly large as it's an old neighborhood w/ big houses.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Valued Contributor

@Othereeeen wrote:

Before you set up for chickens....price the coop, the fence , the chickens, the feed, the straw bedding, the fuel to pick up supplies...the noise, the chicken manure, your neighbors animosity, the hawks,...cleaning that coop in 95 degree humid weather, rainy weather, or below zero ( feeding every day too)...and disposing of the waste. Yuck.

Visit a chicken coop and inhale deeply.....

Then..the day comes when they stop laying...are YOU going to chop off it's head and make a nice chicken and dumpling dinner??? I think not.

Eggs are a bargain at 5.50 a dozen for jumbo here in W. PA. 

That's 46 cents per egg. One dollar for a two egg breakfast ( well maybe a quarter more for the cooking gas and the pat of butter.)

REAL complete food too...not prepared, frozen, processed, fast food, label-du-jour ( Healthy!! Keto!! Fat Free!!! Cage free!! Low Carb!!...Laden with chemicals...o wait...that's never on the front label!!!)

Just toss the carton when done.

(And YES I agree the fresh laid ones are best, but as far as doing an analysis on cost, the dozen in the store is the best bet.

Or just go to McD's and get thier "bargain menu"  glop Egg McMuffin for a few bucks ....for ONE egg!!!

Lotsa people do, and then complain about the cost of a dozen eggs. ( While thier shopping carts are FULL of dollars-per-serving processed, frozen, prepared glop in pretty colorful labelled boxes!!!and don't forget the ten sixpacks of soda on the cart sides!!!)

No real food for these whiners!!!

Everything she says is absolutely correct @Othereeeen .....I have raised chickens for years and years. We currently have about 35. I live about 20 miles outside of

NYC . I have about 11 acres but, if I did not have a "farmhand" to take care of things, they would be GONE. They have free range for the day, fencing is always a problem, whether it be electric or the roof for them....the coyotes and wolves and the hawks continually find ways to get in....

NO rooster, ABSOLUTELY no rats, no smell ,etc but that's because Larry cleans every single day and sometimes more than once. I buy only organic food as the property is organic but I would warn everyone that the price you pay is exorbitant compared to the market eggs.

Respected Contributor

@Danky2 

Informative....and I might point out...not everyone has a "Larry" to do the cleaning!!!

I think the desire to get chickens to "save money" on eggs is the adult version of "I want a puppy or a kitten...I PROMISE I'll walk it, clean up the poop, clean the litter box....etc etc etc....

And we know how that usually turns out!!

I live in a rural area and there are Amish who raise chickens and eggs on their super large isolated farms....they are very good, but no less in cost than the store. Because...

They have to pay for food, straw, fence, heat for grow lights, etc etc etc ....

It's a circular argument. And an economic evaluation will prove it's not worth it.

All I can say is...think pitch dark morning,in winter, 10 degrees, you have to dress for work, make the kids breakfast, get the books and jackets and boots ready, warm up the car, and ...

o yeah. Go out and feed the chickens. 

NO THANK YOU!!!! 

Now if you have a "Larry".....well, that's a whole different ball of wax!!!

Where do you buy him? At Tractor Supply or Agway?!?!!??

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@SharkE   Did you declare your house a homestead?  That's another tax break for Texans.

yep, they automatically gave it to 'us' yrs. ago then when he turned 65 taxes froze. Younger folks are paying like 2,000 more

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Othereeeen wrote:

@Danky2 

Informative....and I might point out...not everyone has a "Larry" to do the cleaning!!!

I think the desire to get chickens to "save money" on eggs is the adult version of "I want a puppy or a kitten...I PROMISE I'll walk it, clean up the poop, clean the litter box....etc etc etc....

And we know how that usually turns out!!

I live in a rural area and there are Amish who raise chickens and eggs on their super large isolated farms....they are very good, but no less in cost than the store. Because...

They have to pay for food, straw, fence, heat for grow lights, etc etc etc ....

It's a circular argument. And an economic evaluation will prove it's not worth it.

All I can say is...think pitch dark morning,in winter, 10 degrees, you have to dress for work, make the kids breakfast, get the books and jackets and boots ready, warm up the car, and ...

o yeah. Go out and feed the chickens. 

NO THANK YOU!!!! 

Now if you have a "Larry".....well, that's a whole different ball of wax!!!

Where do you buy him? At Tractor Supply or Agway?!?!!??
@Othereeeen ... to,to,funny ! I'll ask Larry where I got him from although there is no Agway around here and all my chicken, duck, dog , bunny, goat food comes from Tractor Supply. He has been with us for 25 years, lives in the back in the "farmhouse" which my husband built for him before he died. I would be lost without him as I go away in the winter and summer and he takes care of everything including the security. Never wanted to get married and, to my knowledge (I don't really ask), has no significant other. 
When the children were little(age 3 and up) it was there job to go out and handle 

the chickens starting with picking the eggs. They would go out before breakfast and school and they would do the start of their weekly chores. I was so glad it was the "young-uns" and not me especially when it was very cold.Then eventually they would feed the goats ,etc. They could all lift 50 lbs of feed by the time they were 5 years old.

Honored Contributor

@Danky2 Larry should br given sainthood status. Cleaning chicken coops is one of the worst jobs I ever did. We even found skeletons buried in the manure.

Valued Contributor

@AuntG wrote:

@Danky2 Larry should br given sainthood status. Cleaning chicken coops is one of the worst jobs I ever did. We even found skeletons buried in the manure.

@AuntG    In my opinion that is exactly what he is.....he never found a skeleton but sometimes a dead chicken.....

Trusted Contributor

@kate2357  I understand your situation.  I live in the county, but right over the city line.  My neighborhood is very residential.  And we do have strict county codes.  We need them in this day and age!