Honored Contributor

Re: Get Your Financing Lined Up

@Texasmouse wrote:

DH and I would love to have a few chickens but unfortunately, our HOA doesn't allow it. ☹️

@Texasmouse    God bless your HOA.  There are reasons they don't allow them.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@kate2357    I was in a farm supply and feed store in a semi rural community one day.  They had a rooster in a cage for sale in the front.  The poor clerk begged me to buy him as he was driving her crazy.  He was crowing non-stop and it was the middle of the day, not dawn.  Worse than a barking dog.

It's a wonder yours hasn't ended up on somebody's dinner table.  Chickens belong on farms IMO.  The height of  inconsideration in a crowded suburban area, especially a rooster.

@Kachina624 

I doubt any of us ladies would even know what to do w/ a dead bird w/ feathers! I mean, no I ain't touching that thing. I have to pretend I don't know where food comes from in order to eat almost anything. 

When my grandbabies were over and playing in my container veggie garden they saw a worm in the dirt. It suddenly dawned on them the worm touched the food and it no longer seemed fun to pick fresh carrots to eat at grandma's house. They only wanted carrots that came in a little bag you buy at the grocery store. Smiley Happy 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

I will gladly pay grocery store prices for eggs any day over opting to have my own chickens!   

Happy hens will naturally lay eggs, and unless confined to a small lot, wandering hens will look for a secret place to nest and try to hatch a clutch of eggs.   Hens fight, and will gang up on the smallest, weakest hen with intentions to kill her.  The rooster protects the hens from each other as well as other predators, and fertilizes eggs if you are interested in increasing the flock.  As annoying as a rooster can be, hens do better if one is watching over them.  

Chickens draw mice, rats, and snakes to your property as well as other predators like fox, weasels, raccoons, hawks, etc.   Right after my brother moved here, he bought chickens, which greatly intensified our rodent problem.  Between the chickens and the trashy trailer neighbors, we had constant rodent activity outside night and day.  It has taken 5 years and many pounds of poison to get rid of the rats.

Honored Contributor

@RedTop    Interesting....I didn't know that about rosters or hens harming each other.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Texasmouse wrote:

DH and I would love to have a few chickens but unfortunately, our HOA doesn't allow it. ☹️

Thank God

Honored Contributor

Have you ever notice people with kids, dogs, chickens seem to be deaf ?

When your in the store kids screaming, throwing fits, etc.

Ma is deaf rest of us scurry over to the far side of the store.

Dog people go to work, leave the rest of us to listen to their dogs barking probably need water or food or chain is caught on something.  Hey, they're gone , so, it's all good.

I live in a upscale neighborhood the idiots next door got some stupid chickens built a coop, but, praise God , almighty, no rooster, just hens. Man, is a cop.......so.....tick a lock on that. Wifey, is a school teacher who wouldn't say poop if she had a mouthful. Not friendly folk. We're 10 minutes from Walmart, you both work, why in the hale do you need  freaking chickens ? They don't bother me since no freaking rooster.

Come summer, I'll be serenated by the youngest son getting a small moped or whatever he got for Xmas. They stay in their own yard just go around and around and around and around their own house all day. Gee, I can't wait for summer. Parents are 20 yrs younger then me and must be deaf.

Love thy neighbor is a hard commandment . LOL

Esteemed Contributor

If you're in need of two dozen eggs at a time, apparently you can still get pretty decent prices at Costco and Sam's Club. My mother and one of her neighbors take turns buying them and sharing.

My city does allow people to have chickens in some sections, and from what I've heard from those who live near them, the city also does a nice job with enforcement and has revoked privileges for people who don't follow the law. Roosters are not allowed, which seems like a very good idea. But years ago when I lived on the opposite side of the city, a family moved into the home that was kitty-cornered from my duplex with chickens plus a rooster, and no matter how many times the neighborhood tried to reason with them or report them, that blasted thing hung around and woke us up around 3:15 every morning. For most of the year, it's not even light at that time, so I'm not sure if he was trained or something . . . SUPER obnoxious.

Honored Contributor

guess they was deaf too.

Honored Contributor

With chickens come vermin. Reminds me of weasels killing our chickens. My dad would wait until the chickens roosted at night and then go and wait in the dark to kill the predators. Although I eat eggs and chicken, I sometimes shiver when I think about raising them. Maybe I have some kind of farm life PTSD!

Super Contributor

In Nebraska here, I just bought eggs for $3.97 at Trader Joes, Hy-vee advertise this week brown eggs for $3.99.  I live in rural Nebraska, and have several farm coop's and producers that have chickens and eggs.  Guess I'm lucky.  Chin up ladies, this will pass, if not search out local farmers in your community.

My recent sad fact is apparently there isn't a good source for "gasp" RADISHES!  Since they are easy to grow, I will turn to growing my own this spring.  I have plenty of land, but I will instead plant things in planter boxes on my patio.

I guess we need to adapt to any new shortage, either man made or otherwise (wink wink).  

I'm a farmers daughter, I will adapt.