Honored Contributor

Screenshot_20230117-112922_kindlephoto-379061531.png

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

Re: Get Your Financing Lined Up

I guess I am lucky to buy direct from small farmers and folks with their own chickens.  The eggs are delicious and I know the people who raise them.  Will chickens become the next big pet fad???

If my dog doesn't like you, neither do I.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Just now saw on the local news that many folks are opting to set up chicken coops where they can, for their own eggs. Even in my subdivision, they've approved two hens and one rooster. A couple of neighbors are already into it. 

How I miss fresh eggs of my youth. My dad had a nice set-up for safety at night, with great laying boxes, while able to be free range during the day. I was the one to gather eggs and didn't even mind getting pecked more times than I can count.

The eggs were so tasty. The freshness makes such a difference.  It amazed me how many double yolkers that we would get, too.

The eggshells were firm, not like the fragile, easily broken shells  from facilities. That's not safe for the chickens, or for getting them to the stores without cracks, or breakage.

We had happy chickens, producing happy meals. Great memories.

edit spelling

Esteemed Contributor

I guess I should feel lucky to have paid $3.99 a dozen? We only go thru about 4 eggs a week, at the most. Unless I'm baking ... which for the month of January I'm not baking. 

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Trusted Contributor

@BlueFinch Oh yes, you reminded me of the days we had chickens. When my son was in Kindergarten they hatched eggs and of course, had baby chicks. They asked the kids if they wanted them. Well, my son said yes. Oh boy, I wasn't sure what to do with a chicken. We had plenty of yard, 3 acres, so I called my dad. He built a cool chicken coop and I bought several more baby chicks. I had forgotten about the double yolks. We did get them all the time. And the yolks were so orange and the eggs were so good. I swear, these eggs made cakes taste better. 

I do have to say I felt like I was invading the chickens privacy by sticking my hand underneath them to grab the eggs. Sometimes I would make the kids do it, they didn't seem to have a problem with it. Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

north ga large egg prices, one dozen

walmart brand = $4.94

eggland best = $4.88

organic = $6.32

~~who/what is responsible for your joy? YOU!~~
Honored Contributor

I hope this chicken coop thing doesn't catch on.  My neighbors in the subdivision can't even clean up their dog poop let along adequately care for chickens and their mess.  I can only imagine the flies and smells in hot summer.

And a rooster!  Why is that necessary?  There would be complaints galore.....or a civil uprising.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I hope this chicken coop thing doesn't catch on.  My neighbors in the subdivision can't even clean up their dog poop let along adequately care for chickens and their mess.  I can only imagine the flies and smells in hot summer.

And a rooster!  Why is that necessary?  There would be complaints galore.....or a civil uprising.

@Kachina624 

I live in a nice, quite, long established neighborhood. A block over someone moved in and built a chicken coop and they have a rooster. Oh MY goodness ... it's been like the Hatfield's and the McCoy's over on that block. So many people are unhappy because of the noise. I have not asked about smells ... don't want to contribute to the feud. 

I'm such a bonafide city girl & whimp, I know I could not put my hand under any chicken and pull out an egg. Yes, I'm a dweeb. LOL.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Respected Contributor

DH and I would love to have a few chickens but unfortunately, our HOA doesn't allow it. ☹️

Honored Contributor

@kate2357    I was in a farm supply and feed store in a semi rural community one day.  They had a rooster in a cage for sale in the front.  The poor clerk begged me to buy him as he was driving her crazy.  He was crowing non-stop and it was the middle of the day, not dawn.  Worse than a barking dog.

It's a wonder yours hasn't ended up on somebody's dinner table.  Chickens belong on farms IMO.  The height of  inconsideration in a crowded suburban area, especially a rooster.