Regular Contributor

George Stella's new cookbook featured on ITKWD.

Hi everyone. I'm just now able to see the replay of ITKWD. Did anyone on here get George Stella's new book? I'm a new low-carber and wondered if anyone has used his books before? I remember looking @ his show when he was on the Food Network. I hadn't seen him in years.

Super Contributor

Re: George Stella's new cookbook featured on ITKWD.

His recipes aren't realistic. Uses WA-A-A-Y too much artificial sweetener in his recipes. Bad thing for diabetics, not to mention those with cardiac issues. Publisher gave us 24 Livin' Low Carb last year to give out at Diabetes Education classes. Because of the heavy use of artificial sweeteners, we opted to NOT give them out.

Our patients are limited to one single packet a day of any artificial sweetener OR one 8oz serving of an artificially sweetened beverage. Most recipes in his books exceed that with a single recipe. Our patients learn to eat REAL food with REAL ingredients and how to work them into a daily meal plan. No one is on a 'diet'. They are learning to eat as a new way of life.

Has a cheesecake recipe that uses 1½ cups of Splenda. Why not just use real sugar in the cheesecake and take the sugar intake into consideration in daily limits.

Honored Contributor

I'm not sure what ITKWD is...?

He uses too many junk ingredients for my taste. I'm picky about the quality of the things I consume.

Trusted Contributor

Ditto - what is ITWKD??????

Forget about George Stella - there are better low-carb cookbooks out there. He uses too much fats, including saturated, and too many artificial sugars, as previously mentioned. I will, however, confess I use one of his old recipes - the garlic mashed cauliflower - my favorite substitute for mashed potatoes.

Valued Contributor

ITKWD = In The Kitchen With David

Honored Contributor

I know George for a very long time, he is a sweatheart and his recipies are amazing

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.