Honored Contributor

Re: GARLIC.....CHOP? SLICE? OR ...

I use jarred garlic----no difference in taste and have NEVER been asked how I prepared the garlic---so much easier too. I do like to roast whole garlic heads tho. 

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

You can obviously alter a recipe based on your preferences for garlic flavor, size, or texture (or amount of time you want to spend handling the garlic) but typically, there's a reason a specific preparation is indicated. The more you process garlic, the stronger the flavor it produces. So if you just smash a clove and add it to your dish, it will have less garlic flavor than if you add the same amount of finely minced garlic. The size/style of garlic added to a dish also matters if you're sauteeing, since minced or very thinly sliced garlic can burn quite quickly (and overcooked garlic is extremely bitter).

A tip I recently learned from America's Test Kitchen is that if you really want a strong garlic flavor, mince the garlic or mash it into a paste and let it sit for a bit before adding it; this allows the greatest breakdown of the flavor components, so they will be extra powerful in the final dish.

Esteemed Contributor

@amyb - I think your post got edited because you likely typed the dish name with the sequenced letters of f...a...g...; the nanny filter is not smart enough to figure out you're not using a derogatory term.  Smiley Wink

Respected Contributor

@loriqvc wrote:

@amyb - I think your post got edited because you likely typed the dish name with the sequenced letters of f...a...g...; the nanny filter is not smart enough to figure out you're not using a derogatory term.  Smiley Wink

Oh wow, lol...you are probably right. 🤦‍♀️Tks for explaining. Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

Usually I grate it on the very, very fine grater I also use for onions.  Sort of turns it into a mush, which is my goal.

Respected Contributor

@amyb 

Oh, I had to smile  at the stars in your post.I guess no one knew what it was. I knew ASAP what had happened..lol

Respected Contributor

@loriqvc 

Interesting. I never though about letting the minced garlic sit and stew before using. Have to try it. Yes, minced garlic is easily burned and has to be carefully watched.

I use lots of fresh garlic and can easily slip off the coverings. I just slice off the hard end and pop it into the microwave for a few seconds. The covering slips off in a second.So easy.

Thanks for the sitting tip.

Super Contributor

i prefer to mince 

mrshckynut 

Honored Contributor

I have a garlic press, but if I stir garlic into something, I mash.

Honored Contributor

I order the large plastic containers of minced garlic from Sams Club; minimum order of 2.  We use 2 containers in a years time.