Respected Contributor

GARLIC.....CHOP? SLICE? OR ...

I see many cooking programs on TV. I am always seeing different ways of using garlic. Some say to get the most flavor from it....mince, slice, smash.

I am beginning to wonder if it matters at all.

I use a lot of it, but rarely notice if  it is more "garlicy"one way or other.

What do you think, does it matter?

Honored Contributor

Re: GARLIC.....CHOP? SLICE? OR ...

I mince...because I don't like to see large pieces in my finished recipé

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Honored Contributor

I use garlic in everything! I buy the huge jjar of minced garlic at Costco. Mmm I love the garlic juice too! 

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Flatbush  Unless a recipe specifically calls for garlic cut a certain way, I generally either mince it or grate it using a small microplane that I use for zesting or grating cheese.   

I also have jar garlic in the fridge that I use if I'm out of fresh garlic or I'm too lazy to peel fresh.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Respected Contributor

@Flatbush 

Totally agree with you about not seeing / biting into pieces of garlic !

When I make my huge batches of marinara sauce, I even liquefy the minced ( jarred ) garlic in a little Cuisinart !  This means that when I am cooking it with a very little oil, I need to keep stirring it so it doesn't stick or burn.

I think it makes the final sauce " smooth ".  Nothing but compliments all around and one soul wanted to watch the next time I made it.

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Some recipes I put the whole garlic clove in (pasta ******iole, because that's what my mom did, and later it tastes good to eat it after the broth soaks into it and makes it tender.) *update...wow...QVC "edited" my "fazool"...jeez. whatever. Did you think I was swearing to you in Italian?

Some recipes I slice it...broccoli rabe and beans, pasta dishes in garlic and olive oil.

And some I mince small...soups, stews.

Sometimes I've smashed...they say it releases the flavor...it does seem like it does that when you smash it. You can smash then mince...I just think it lets some of the juice release. It's noticeable when I'm prepping, but it's likely hardly noticeable in the cooked dish.

Honored Contributor

I used jarred minced garlic from the grocery.  I dont notice a difference in taste.   Why anyone would buy, store, peel and bust garlic cloves is beyond me.  But to each their own.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Respected Contributor

@Imaoldhippie I agree. I got into a phase where I was buying fresh garlic and using it in my recipes after hearing and seeing so many professional cooks use it.  I could tell no difference in the taste of my recipes using jarred vs. freshly minced.  

Esteemed Contributor

It depends on what I am making with the garlic.  

Honored Contributor

We used to use lots of it, but now hardly ever do.  We don't like the smell to linger in the house or on us.  I think my garlic days are pretty much over.