Esteemed Contributor

GARBAGE DISPOSAL ~ WHAT ALL DO YOU PUT DOWN YOURS?? USE HOT OR COLD WATER???

I use mine for food left on plates and cooking pans.  I don't put peelings down it or large amounts of food at one time.  I use hot water in case some of the food has some grease/oil in it.  

Egg shells are the worst thing to put down one. A Roto/Rooter guy told me this. Woman Wink We have rentals and tell the tenants not to do this.  We once had a woman put a whole bouquet down hers.  Needless to say, that was a service call.

If you have one, what do you put down it?

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

Re: GARBAGE DISPOSAL ~ WHAT ALL DO YOU PUT DOWN YOURS?? USE HOT OR COLD WATER???

I grew up in NYC where garbage disposals are unknown.  Had one in our house in Nevada.  Never used it.  Never got a clear answer as to what could or couldn't be disposed of.  Do not have one now and certainly don't miss it.

Honored Contributor

Re: GARBAGE DISPOSAL ~ WHAT ALL DO YOU PUT DOWN YOURS?? USE HOT OR COLD WATER???

@kaydee50 wrote:

I grew up in NYC where garbage disposals are unknown.  Had one in our house in Nevada.  Never used it.  Never got a clear answer as to what could or couldn't be disposed of.  Do not have one now and certainly don't miss it.

@kaydee50.  Never heard of them in my area of NJ either. Had one for awhile where I live now but got rid of it. 

Esteemed Contributor

Practically nothing goes down mine, that wouldn't go down a regular drain.  Oh, sometimes I'll toss lemons in to freshen it.  For the most part, plates and pans are wiped off or licked by the dog.

No grease.  Of course trace amounts get through, but I prevent what I can.  I use cold water, and let it run for 15-20 seconds after it's chopped up what went in and been turned off.

Cogito ergo sum
Esteemed Contributor

I learned the hard way years ago to never put egg shells and potato peelings into the garbage disposal! I put few items in mine.....leftover soft/wet cat food in their dishes, small amounts of leftover food like scrambled eggs, jello, gravy, etc. I wouldn't be without the disposal, but for me it's more for little scraps of soft food when I'm rinsing a dish or pan.

Honored Contributor

Garbage!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

I don't put anything down the disposal because I don't want to deal with jams.  I have a strainer in the sink to catch anything from the dishwater.

Regular Contributor

I scrape all food bits into the garbage can, not the disposal. I personally don’t feel comfortable having ground up food sitting within the disposal unit or my kitchen pipes. I mean, wouldn’t that be where any smell would come from? Also, I was told to flush with straight hot water if it’s being used.

Honored Contributor

Everything but the cat and the cat knows to be careful.  We put lots of eggshells down ours and have never had an issue.

If I string celery, I'll put the strings in the trash can.  But honestly, other stuff onions, peels, etc. etc.  down it goes.

We buy the best one we can fit in and let 'er rip.  Maybe we've been lucky.  We've had one since 1977.  Water is whatever temp is coming out of the faucet. 

Esteemed Contributor

Eggs, lemons, meat, potatoes (no peels) liquids, onions, pretty much anything, I’ve had one for decades and never had a problem.