Honored Contributor

Re: GARBAGE DISPOSAL ~ WHAT ALL DO YOU PUT DOWN YOURS?? USE HOT OR COLD WATER???

@chickenbutt wrote:

I'm really interesting in the 'cold water or hot water' thing, as I see how some plumbers say one thing and some the other.  Maybe it's like what one poster said about it depending on the unit.

We just recently had to replace ours and the plumber told me one thing I had never heard before.   He said that, from time to time depending on use, to pour some   BOILING water through it.  What he does is boil some water in a very large stockpot (like 8qt) and pour the whole thing down it.   He said his use is probably about like mine (not at all heavy), and he does his about every 2 months.    More frequently for heavier use.

Mine, as was my former one, is an Insinkerator.   Funny thing - all I cared about most was that I could still use my plug things that I got from QVC (remember the ones they've sold to put there so silverware and stuff doesn't fall in?) because I remember people, some time back, saying that those didn't fit for theirs.   Fortunately, that didn't become a problem.  Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt 

Is that YOU @chickenbutt ?

HI! HI! HI!  

SO very glad to see you.  

Hope you are doing well.

😊

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

Re: GARBAGE DISPOSAL ~ WHAT ALL DO YOU PUT DOWN YOURS?? USE HOT OR COLD WATER???

@Drythe wrote:

@chickenbutt wrote:

I'm really interesting in the 'cold water or hot water' thing, as I see how some plumbers say one thing and some the other.  Maybe it's like what one poster said about it depending on the unit.

We just recently had to replace ours and the plumber told me one thing I had never heard before.   He said that, from time to time depending on use, to pour some   BOILING water through it.  What he does is boil some water in a very large stockpot (like 8qt) and pour the whole thing down it.   He said his use is probably about like mine (not at all heavy), and he does his about every 2 months.    More frequently for heavier use.

Mine, as was my former one, is an Insinkerator.   Funny thing - all I cared about most was that I could still use my plug things that I got from QVC (remember the ones they've sold to put there so silverware and stuff doesn't fall in?) because I remember people, some time back, saying that those didn't fit for theirs.   Fortunately, that didn't become a problem.  Smiley Happy

@chickenbutt 

Is that YOU @chickenbutt ?

HI! HI! HI!  

SO very glad to see you.  

Hope you are doing well.

😊

Hi Darlin'!   I'm hanging in there.  Smiley Happy  Nice seein' ya and hope this finds you happy and well.  Heart

Honored Contributor

@tends2dogs   It is supposed to grind bones, but I don't put bones in, nor anything fibrous such as pea pods, or rice as it expands. Most kitchen scraps except meat and dairy, go into the compost bin.