Valued Contributor

Re: GARBAGE DISPOSAL ~ WHAT ALL DO YOU PUT DOWN YOURS?? USE HOT OR COLD WATER???

I would not be without one. My cousin owned a plumbing business and always said to use it with cold water as hot can burn up the motor. Every so often I put ice in to sharpen the blades. I use it mainly for food residue. At times larger food items.

Trusted Contributor

Re: GARBAGE DISPOSAL ~ WHAT ALL DO YOU PUT DOWN YOURS?? USE HOT OR COLD WATER???

No onion skins, egg shells, grease, cooked pasta, rice, fat from cooked or raw meat, potato skins, celery.  I was told from a plumber not to put dairy products, even milk down the drain as it can curdle and cause problems.  I put very little down the disposal, I usually just scrape it into the kitchen garbage can.  Just an FYI, I read somewhere that the only thing that should be put down the toilet is toilet paper - no kleenex, hair, etc. 

Respected Contributor

Nothing because we don't have one.   I've had one in every American house I've lived in but didn't have one when we lived overseas for 7 years.

We don't have one in our NM casita.   It's just the two of us so it's OK.  I'd rather have one but we do fine without one. 

Honored Contributor

I use mine daily.  Every plumber or repairman has different opinions.

I put egg shells all the time!  I don't have a lot to dispose of, but, every week I throw a lemon peel & ice in it -- let it run to just keep it fresh & blades sharp.

When we did the kitchen remodel I had new one put in.  The contractor told me to do this & let in run even after the "grinding" sound stops to "clear" the line completely.  Really don't know if this accurate either -- but, I do🤔

Esteemed Contributor

Cold water.  That is what the cleaner says to use.  I love putting lemon peels in it. For the clean smell when you turn disposal on.  

Respected Contributor

I sell commercial trucks to LOTS of plumbers  and I always ask them this stuff- First, I couldnt live without one- My Mom, Grandmother, well ALL of us have always had them here in So California- Never knew they were a "regional" thing!

So what  do my plumbers tell me? No grease, but sometimes of course, there is residual grease in pans, dishes etc that cannot be avoided - use COLD water to rinse this down!    WHAT? that is counter intuitive, I thought- Well, I have been told that if you use hot water to "liquefy " the grease as it goes down, it will liquify, but then it will also  stick to the insides of the pipes, and when they cool down, it will be there, but solid..That is where the clog starts!

Hot water is OK at other times....

And nothing fibrous, like peels or even large amounts of salad, as it can "wrap" around the blades and freeze them up..Most of us have learned this the hard way!

Probably the BEST tip I ever got, and I use it and havent has a problem in YEARS, is to  run the disposal  AFTER it is cleared, and imagine how long it takes for the water to reach the main sewer line (usually on the street) run it THAT long, after you feel it is "done"...

I also "plink" my disposal every week...

Super Contributor

I'm very cautious - we have a septic tank and the diposal is designed for septic use but I use it only for small amounts of food left on plates and little amounts in pans.  Most always I will scrap into garbage and never large amount of spoiled leftovers etc.... Even when I lived on a sewer line, I was afraid to put to much down for fear of trouble.  Once had issue with plugged pipes and it was terrible. 

Respected Contributor

This is the second home I had one and I've not used either.   First apt I had there was one and I did use it - it caused more problems than it was worth.  

Honored Contributor

I was told that if you eat it, it can go down the disposal, otherwise throw away.....I learned the hard way as a new wife.  I put the rind of watermelon in the disposal...huge mistake.

Also no coffee grounds, grease, bones.

I would not be with out a disposal, well unless circumstances changed and for some reason I could not get one.

Honored Contributor

I'm really interesting in the 'cold water or hot water' thing, as I see how some plumbers say one thing and some the other.  Maybe it's like what one poster said about it depending on the unit.

We just recently had to replace ours and the plumber told me one thing I had never heard before.   He said that, from time to time depending on use, to pour some   BOILING water through it.  What he does is boil some water in a very large stockpot (like 8qt) and pour the whole thing down it.   He said his use is probably about like mine (not at all heavy), and he does his about every 2 months.    More frequently for heavier use.

Mine, as was my former one, is an Insinkerator.   Funny thing - all I cared about most was that I could still use my plug things that I got from QVC (remember the ones they've sold to put there so silverware and stuff doesn't fall in?) because I remember people, some time back, saying that those didn't fit for theirs.   Fortunately, that didn't become a problem.  Smiley Happy