Honored Contributor

Fruitcake: Have You Read Truman Capote's "A Chr

If you love fruitcake, or Christmas, or a wonderful story, think about reading or seeing Truman Capote's "A Christmas Memory."

It is a short book and is perhaps my favorite of all literature.  There is an old old tv production with Geraldine Page that is still around in places, and a newer one with Sally Field that is good too.

But even if you see it, it is still worth it to read the story too!  It's about a little boy and auntie who are overlooked by the rest of the world and spend the autumn making fruitcakes that they pour their love into and send to special people.  

Honored Contributor

Re: Fruitcake: Have You Read Truman Capote's "A Chr

[ Edited ]

@Sooner wrote:

If you love fruitcake, or Christmas, or a wonderful story, think about reading or seeing Truman Capote's "A Christmas Memory."

It is a short book and is perhaps my favorite of all literature.  There is an old old tv production with Geraldine Page that is still around in places, and a newer one with Sally Field that is good too.

But even if you see it, it is still worth it to read the story too!  It's about a little boy and auntie who are overlooked by the rest of the world and spend the autumn making fruitcakes that they pour their love into and send to special people.  

@Sooner , I have that book and read it every year, and I remember the tv show with Geraldine Page. It is a wonderful story ! I still don't like fruitcake, LOL.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Trusted Contributor

I saw that TV production of A Christmas Memory when it first aired.  I was college-aged, I think.  Soon after, I read the story.  

I loved it so much, it prompted me to make fruitcake for a few years after that.  

I'm not a big fruitcake lover, either, but I just had that urge to bake it.

Respected Contributor

This short story appeared in the anthology I used for my tenth graders.

I always had my students read everything out loud. I had to brace myself as the story drew to a close because I wanted to cry: so beautiful, so sad.

(The story that followed this one was Dylan Thomas's "A Child's Christmas in Wales." That was full of antics that occurred with Dylan and his friends--fun, yet wistful.)

We would also read the chapter from A Tree Grows in Brooklyn that relates how Francie and her younger brother Neely won a big tree one Christmas. (The seller, a rather gruff man, hurled the tree against them--he let the two of them act as one because the boy was so small; if they remained standing they would win the tree). The man swore as he threw the tree at the children, but Francie knew that he was telling them that he loved them.

Ah, tales of Christmas. . .!