Honored Contributor

Re: Fruit On A lettuce Leaf.......

@ECBG Never, praise God. i hate  cream and cottage cheese and for me mayo has no place anywhere near fruit! When I was growing up it was fresh fruit or a fruit salad, never on lettuce with anything else.

My DH, son and I were all of the same mind set.

Honored Contributor

Sounds very unappetizing with mayo or cream cheese.  Yuk.   I do remember fruit salads that were beautifully arranged.  My mother and her friends served them at their luncheons or at their afternoon card parties.  My mom had crystal fluted salad plates and I remember cottage cheese with canned fruit.  I think on a bed of lettuce. Maraschino cherry and slivers of almonds.  I was a kid and wouldn't eat it.  Now I wonder why they didn't use fresh fruit, it was always canned fruit.  

Honored Contributor

I remember when Jello salad was a salad-you know same as a tossed green salad.

'cuz every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man
Honored Contributor

I eat plain yogurt and berries often so maybe that counts? I also sometimes have cottage cheese with tomatoes (mostly canned stewed ones) for a light lunch.  That's about all we ever use it for. 

I am indulging in raspberries now.  I love love love them. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I remember the lettuce leaf/fruit combo.  It was sort of alternated with the jello salad which was either fruit or shredded veggies with cottage cheese and walnuts in jello.  Yuck. 

Recipe indexes in cookbooks referred to them as "congealed salads"

Esteemed Contributor

Yes at my Grandparents home. Sometimes pears with cottage cheese and some times grapefruit on lettuce

Honored Contributor

Who needs SALAD???     You can get it in pill form now.   "Those" commercials have been flooding my TV!!!!   

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

@ECBG  We never had cottage cheese in our home when I was growing up. (late 50's and early 60's).

However, my grandma around the block always had it and that's where I ate it. She did like canned pineapple or peaches on top. It was good. I liked it. And not a lettuce leaf to be found. Woman LOL She just did it up in a small bowl. No plate.

My very favorite was when she drizzled virgin olive oil on the cottage cheese with lots of fresh cracked pepper. No fruit when she did it that way. So delicious.

She would spread it sometimes on Italian bread that had been brushed with more olive oil and was put in the broiler to toast it and char the bread up a bit. So simple, so special and so filling. Cold cottage cheese on hot Italian bread. Yummy.

Respected Contributor

I never acquired a taste for cottage cheese, though I remember my mom eating it.

Respected Contributor

My mother ate this in the sixties when we were young.  We did not eat it,  my mom loved it with pineapple. (Canned).  We also served it at a luncheonette that I worked at downtown when I was 16.  I’m sure it was a diet lunch.  Served on a plate with peach or pear halves (also canned).  Served a lot of it to business women.  My mom never had mayo or shredded cheese on it.  

@ECBG  I think we also made this as one of our salads in home Ec.  It was a recipe!  Three ingredients.  Haha.  

I do remember jello squares with fruit cocktail served on a piece of lettuce at our junior high school cafeteria.