Trusted Contributor

Re: Fruit On A lettuce Leaf.......

[ Edited ]

I remember that when I was a little girl, in the fifties, it was common to have an appetizer, or beginning of a meal consisting of a small glass of tomato juice, or half a grapefruit (often with half a marashino cherry on top), maybe a small shrimp coctail.  My mother never served these, but it was common in restaurants.

When it comes to cottage cheese and fruit, well this was a staple of mine through the sixties and early seventies, not as a meal starter, but as a "diet" lunch.  I had more cottage cheese mixed with fruit, canned or fresh, and the thought of it now is not appealing to me at all.  Not that I don't like cottage cheese, or fruit, but I had way, way too much of it, and it brings back unpleasant memories of my obsession with dieting and my weight.

Valued Contributor

My sweet mom served fruit on a lettuce leaf. I don't remember the year. We lived in a tiny house on Locust Street. (although it wasn't a tiny house to us because we were small). I remember pears, or peach, or pineapple with a dollup of mayonaise. We didn't understand it, and just thought Mom was being fancy.

Respected Contributor

We had this for Sunday dinner "dessert" after church. Mom put a lettuce leaf on a dessert plate, topped it with cottage cheese, and then a peach half was put on top. It was delicious--lettuce and all! Don't knock it until you've tried it! ☺️ This would have been in the 60's and 70's. My mom passed away in 2021. I wish I had thought of this to make for her one last time. She would have loved it.

Honored Contributor

Never.  It just wasn't done at my house.

Valued Contributor

@ECBG   Yes!  My mom would make a side salad with a nice wedge of iceberg lettuce topped with a pear or peach and a dollop of the fruit juice mixed with a little mayo. It was refreshing and I still make it occasionally in the summer. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I never had that combo....today, I would eat fruit with lettuce and enjoy it (without the cream cheese/cheese) 

Respected Contributor

Never ever, I wonder if it was regional?

Esteemed Contributor

We has lot's of fruit but I could never get that cottage cheese down.  Still can't

Esteemed Contributor

Never had it growing up and don't remember seeing this combo....ever.

"What we practice daily is what we build a life on. Practice peace, love & kindness."
Honored Contributor

My mother never had fruit on lettuce but we had canned pears for dessert a lot lol!

I never heard of it with mayonnaise.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"