Respected Contributor

Frozen Fish is good in the freezer until ... ?

how many weeks?

At what point does it go "bad".

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Valued Contributor

Re: Frozen Fish is good in the freezer until ... ?

I just found one chart @ http://www.home-storage-solutions-101.com/freezer-storage-times.html

*I don't really follow this chart strictly?? Nuts stay fresh lots longer in my freezer :/

Honored Contributor

I think it depends on whether it's a regular package from the grocery store ...... or an air tight seal inside another plastic bag.

Yesterday I prepared two small pieces of salmon that were airtight and, after the purchase about 3 months ago, they were perfect. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Honored Contributor

I depends on how it's stored. I've used fish that I've had for over a year - but they were vacuum-sealed. That makes a HUGE difference.

Just storing without being vacuum-sealed I don't think I'd leave it in there too long, particularly if you have a frost-free freezer. That shortens the amount of time it will stay pristine.

Anything short of vacuum-sealing, I wouldn't keep it for more than a week or so in the freezer.

Honored Contributor

On 11/8/2014 chickenbutt said:

I depends on how it's stored. I've used fish that I've had for over a year - but they were vacuum-sealed. That makes a HUGE difference.

Just storing without being vacuum-sealed I don't think I'd leave it in there too long, particularly if you have a frost-free freezer. That shortens the amount of time it will stay pristine.

Anything short of vacuum-sealing, I wouldn't keep it for more than a week or so in the freezer.

I'll see you one and raise you two! At MOST! Three weeks would be the outside if not vac sealed I'd think. Fish really gets freezer burn fast.

Respected Contributor

Excellent! Thanks, everyone. {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

"The less you respond to negative people, the more peaceful your life will become."
Honored Contributor

On 11/8/2014 Sooner said:

I'll see you one and raise you two! At MOST! Three weeks would be the outside if not vac sealed I'd think. Fish really gets freezer burn fast.

I'm sure you are right. I'm more food-neurotic than most. {#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Vacuum-sealing is just THE best and I highly recommend it to anybody who stores food in the freezer. I even vac-sealed my croissants from QVC (both the flat ones and the raspberry and lemon filled ones) because there is no way I can use those up quickly. This way they stay perfect for ages. Plus, they stopped having the raspberry and lemon ones so I'm going to make those last as long as possible. Smiley Sad Hate it when you get an A/D and then they cancel it halfway through.

Valued Contributor

Homemade potato soup! Sorry, I posted this in the wrong place{#emotions_dlg.blink}

Honored Contributor

On 11/8/2014 Sooner said:

I'm sure you are right. I'm more food-neurotic than most. {#emotions_dlg.blushing}

Vacuum-sealing is just THE best and I highly recommend it to anybody who stores food in the freezer. I even vac-sealed my croissants from QVC (both the flat ones and the raspberry and lemon filled ones) because there is no way I can use those up quickly. This way they stay perfect for ages. Plus, they stopped having the raspberry and lemon ones so I'm going to make those last as long as possible. Smiley Sad Hate it when you get an A/D and then they cancel it halfway through.

That's why I luv ya CB!!! LOL!!! I'm maybe a half step behind you there!

Honored Contributor