Esteemed Contributor

There is a farm that sells pecans near here, and I like to go to get my pecans. We went yesterday and they are so good, but seem kind of high. We got 10 pounds of cracked pecans for 45.00.

They are not even in the same ballpark tastewise as what I get at Sams or Kroger. They are so fresh and delicious.

How much are they where ya'll live?

Respected Contributor

Re: Fresh Pecan prices

[ Edited ]

@happycat  I just paid $4.98 at Albertson's for 8 oz bagged of shelled pecans.  The 4 oz bag was $2.98 so I bought the bigger bag to save.  Sounds like yours is a bargain especially if they are fresh from the farm. 

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

The city park in Roswell, NM has a lot of pecan trees.  We've been hearing on the news that people are destroying the trees trying to get the nuts up in the branches.  Now I understand why if they're $4.50/lb in the shell.  I haven't bought any.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

Hi @happycat,

I think that I paid almost $7 for a mid-sized bag at Aldi's awhile ago.

They have put just about all of their baking items on sale now for the holidays.

I don't cook or bake with them all too often, but I do really like them and I'll use them in a recipe that specifically calls for their use.

I live in the Upper Midwest, so pecans are usually on the more expensive side to buy up here. Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

I buy my shelled pecans from a charity in Dallas; Pilot Club of Dallas; $11.00 lb..I have no idea what they sell for here in shell..These are fresh this years crop and so worth it for me. to eat and to bake with..I buy 10 lbs, in Oct. each year. They last about a year..I am born Texan and I love Texas pecans..so good.

Valued Contributor

My uncle has pecan trees.  3 years ago, I visted for the holidays, my gift was 3/3 gallon freezers bags of shelled pecans!  I should call him.

I looked at walnuts and pecans in the grocery today.  Unshelled, it was 3.98 a pound.  I have my mothers holiday nut dish and thought about getting some.  But some kids were playing in them.  lol.

The dish is wooden and shaped like a acorn and has 6 separate compartments.  Some year I will put it out.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Fresh Pecan prices

[ Edited ]

@happycat  Just pulled my grocery slip out of the recycling box to verify what I paid.

Your price was a terrific buy! I bought pecans today for $11.58/lb. I eat mixed nuts rather than sweets so pecans, walnuts, cashews, almonds, etc., are always on my grocery list.

ETA:  Checked on the walnuts, also. They were $7.88/lb. today. (Those were the only two that needed replenishing.)   I'm in Nebraska.

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

I shop a locally owned Mennonite bulk store here and they sell fresh nuts for baking.

I picked up a 1lb container of chopped pecan pieces for about $9.

Surely not fresh off the tree quality but sure beats the sawdust they sell in cellophane bags at the grocery.

Honored Contributor

Oh Pecans! My Dad used to make homemade pecan pies and pecan turtles for gifts at Christmas. He literally would spend most of his evenings in December cooking and baking. Making gifts for friends and relatives.

He worked so hard to perfect his recipe. And learned to make soft chewy caramel for the turtles.

The hardest thing for him was to find fresh pecans. He bought pecans locally (Philadelphia area) and never thought they were fresh. So finally he had his sister who lived in Atlanta ship the pecans up to him. She got them at a local farmers market. I have no idea what he paid for those pecans but I am sure it was a bit. But he was so happy because they were fresh. 

After he had his stroke and lost the use of his right arm and leg. The first thing he wanted to make in rehab was a homemade pecan pie. And it was delicious.

Enjoy your pecans.

Honored Contributor

I am so spoiled.  I live in Oklahoma and have been given pecans all my life or in later years bought them about 5 miles from the house.  The pecans you can get in stores do not in any way compare to locally grown, this year's crop nuts.  

I'll add that the smaller "native' pecans are WAY better than many of those big paper shell varieties that are spongy and not crisp.