Respected Contributor

I am looking into buying a french press coffee maker for mornings when I have time to savor my coffee. I use a single serve coffee maker generally and like the simplicity.

I have ordered a Dash (HSN) brand electric kettle that was on sale to heat water speedily and safely. But know that I will need a stainless steel press as I would break a glass one. Wolfgang had one over the weekend but it sold out ,but I have seen many other places.

My question to users or those with experience using one is--do you end up with a lot of grounds in the final coffee? Very many would be a turn off for me. I do like strong coffee but not grounds in it.

Honored Contributor

@okaywitheasypay...my husband & I only drink French Press coffee and love it.  I recommend the Bodum brand, and no we don't end up with grounds in our coffee.  They stay at the bottom of the french press and don't pour into your cup.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor

We love French press coffee too and don't get grounds in the bottom.  The trick is to have the right grind of coffee for a FP and use care pouring.   We don't use ours much anymore because the coffee wouldn't be hot enough when we got to the second cup.   So forget about the third cup.

Honored Contributor

@okaywitheasypay...Bridgegal is right...you should use the right grind of coffee.  We use espresso ground (Goya is our preference), so it's real fine.  The Bodum filter doesn't let any grinds escape.  Yes, the coffee does get cold if you have a big press.  We use the 8 cup, but I pour mine into my Zojirushi 16oz Stainless Steel Vacuum Insulated Mug  and it stays hot until the end of my work day.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Respected Contributor
I use mine for some loose tea as well as my coffee when I have time to sit and make it. It does make great coffee. I love, love, love my electric kettle. I use it to make sweet tea. I boil a kettle full of water, put my tea bags in my gallon pitcher, pour in the water and clamp the lid on. I wait 7 or so minutes for it to steep. Then remove the bags and add 3/4c or so of sugar & water. I'm done. I don't boil it on the stove or repeated nuking in the microwave or in a dedicated coffee maker.
Honored Contributor

Re: French Press Coffee

[ Edited ]

@okaywitheasypay

Espro (double filter), Bodem and Freeiling all have double wall french press. 

I don't have a french press but I've been watching seattle coffee gear on youtube

I was researching cold brew and the videos were so interesting (with Gail) that I learned all about espress machines, french press and grinders.

French press requires drip to coarse grounds and Espro is the only french press that has a double filter and you get a much cleaner (no silt) cup of coffee.

here is their comparison of Espro vs Frieling - hth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpuNu6T42Ts

New Contributor

My neighbor gave me four packs of Columbian coffee that they bought while on vacation. I tried it first in my ppersonal kcup, but the grounds were too fine. I have a Le Creuset FP. I pour hot water first and let it sit until the FP is hot. Keeps the coffee hot for quite a while.

Regular Contributor

yes i enjoy french press coffee on days when I have time.  it does take a few minutes.  I don't have a kettle but heat my water in a pan with a pour spout on the side so it's easy.  You do have to drink this coffee rather quickly if you like it hot (or like another poster mentioned, put it in a thermal type cup/container).  I have a Le Crueset press (the larger size) and I love it but I want the smaller size cause I'm the only one who drinks it and it would take less water to heat it up.  You do have to get the grind just right (not too course or the coffee is too weak, not too fine or they filter through into the coffee) , somewhat like panko breadcrumbs is about right.  I enjoy the ritual and I really enjoy the coffee (but not when I'm in a hurry). Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Re: French Press Coffee

[ Edited ]

We have tried a number of FP coffeemakers over the years and the one I recommend most enthusiastically is the Nissan Stainless Steel model, also sold under "Thermos" name.  It holds a quart of coffee and keeps it good and hot for about 3 hours.  After 3 hours, the coffee will cool down a bit but it's rare for coffee to go ungulped that long around here haha.  It is super easy to clean as well,  It costs about half the price of espro which I received as a gift and found to be way overhyped.

Respected Contributor
I do believe it is a medium grind they recommend for a french press so there is a lot of surface area for the coffee to be exposed to the hot water.