Frequent Contributor

I have a large bag of lemons and oranges that I don't want to go to waste.  I have gotten varying answers on how and whether you can or can not freeze oranges and lemons.  Anyone here have experience doing this? One article said cut the fruit into sections, freeze on baking sheets and put in freezer bags.

TIA

Teddy

Respected Contributor

Re: Freezing oranges and lemons

I slice the lemons or oranges into slices than quarter them and put them on a tray covered in wax paper or something non stick and freeze the tray. I then put them in a ziplock in the freezer to use in water, hot tea, etc. works great.
Trusted Contributor

For years I would squeeze key limes and freeze the juice for pies.  I then had a grower tell me he froze the whole lime.  Less work. 

Boop

Honored Contributor

I only freeze the peels after juicing so I can use the zest later. It works fine and you can easily zest them still frozen. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Frequent Contributor

[ Edited ]
Thanks everyone. I use the rinds and juice for a citrus lemon frosting I make for a Lemon sheet cake. Also use the fruit for infused water. I'm going to try freezing them👍
Valued Contributor

I freeze lemon slices all the time for use later. Maybe you could squeeze the oranges and make juice to drink now or later? I had some oranges that I needed to use, now that other fruits are in season, I just squeezed and made delicious Orange juice.