Super Contributor

Re: Freezing marinara sauce?

Ok, I'm confused. I see a few posters saying that they originally freeze the sauce in Lock N Lock, but then pop it out, and put it in vacumn sealed bags?

Why wouldn't you just leave it inside the L&L once it is frozen?

I'm not talking about keeping things for years in a freezer...maybe a couple months.

So L&L would not keep well for a few months?

Respected Contributor

On 2/3/2015 qvc chick said:

Ok, I'm confused. I see a few posters saying that they originally freeze the sauce in Lock N Lock, but then pop it out, and put it in vacumn sealed bags?

I'm not talking about keeping things for years in a freezer...maybe a couple months.

Still gets freezer-burned because there's still air inside. If you vacuum seal it, that removes all the air. Just as an FYI, the only reason I initially freeze in a container at all is because my Foodsaver isn't the kind you can vacuum seal liquids in; it has to be solid first.

Honored Contributor

On 2/3/2015 qvc chick said:

Hi! My response to that would be that, while L&L is airtight and liquidtight (as long as there aren't any spouts in the seals), it is NOT a vacuum. The only way to keep the food pristine is to remove ALL the air (i.e. vacuuming) because it is the oxygen in the air that breaks down the food. Additionally, the moisture in the food works together with the air inside to cause the ice crystals and, ultimately, freezer burn.

There is no way to remove ALL the air from a L&L (or any other) container and have it STAY out. Even if you take a baggie and press out all the air, there will still be air moving in and out of the container. With an airtight container, air isn't moving in and out of it but there IS air inside with the food. Vacuum sealing removes ALL the air, thus allowing the food to remain in its pristine form for a very long time. For a few months, or even weeks, or even less than ONE week, if air is accessing the food it is breaking down from day one.

Hope all that made sense. Smiley Happy I'm a serious nut for food storage, so I have it down pat. I do love Lock & Lock and it's great for short-term refrigerator storage and for freezer, refrigerator, OR pantry storage for dry goods. I would not be without it for the purposes where the products do excel.