Valued Contributor

For those of you who own the copper chef pans

I need to get your feedback. I was in Penny's yesterday and preparing to buy the small skillet as I had a 15 dollar off coupon and a man and his wife told me don't try to fix toasted cheese sandwiches in the pan. They said the pan is good for other things but you cannot butter your sandwiches on the outside or it will ruin the pan. I said What?, I have buttered the bread for toasted cheese on the outside for years. He said no oil or butter can be used in the pan. I put it back and used the coupon for something else. And yes it was the original pan from Eric. Is this true?

Honored Contributor

Re: For those of you who own the copper chef pans

@allaries wrote:

I need to get your feedback. I was in Penny's yesterday and preparing to buy the small skillet as I had a 15 dollar off coupon and a man and his wife told me don't try to fix toasted cheese sandwiches in the pan. They said the pan is good for other things but you cannot butter your sandwiches on the outside or it will ruin the pan. I said What?, I have buttered the bread for toasted cheese on the outside for years. He said no oil or butter can be used in the pan. I put it back and used the coupon for something else. And yes it was the original pan from Eric. Is this true?

You don't need to butter your bread if you use the CC pan.   The point is, you don't need any fat.   

I bought my CC at Walmart, it came with a glass lid and cost about $20.    It also came with 1,000,000 do's and don'ts.    I discounted most of them except I never use metal in the pan.   It cooks great and it cleans even better and it's wonderfully lightweight.   But I have noticed scratches in the pan, from what, I have no idea.   I live alone and I only use non-metal utensils.   

I don't recall anything about not using oils.    But if you want butter on your bread, I would toast the sandwich without, then butter the bread lightly after cooking.

If I decide to buy another new pan, I'm going to try the Gotham Steel.

Does anyone know what kind of pan Trisha Yearwood uses?  Her pans are beautiful and it looks like they have white ceramic inside.

Trusted Contributor

@allaries I'm sorry I don't know the answer BUT I'm not buying any pan if I can't make a buttered grilled cheese sandwich in it!! That's half the taste of the sandwich.

Esteemed Contributor

I own the Gotham Steel pans, and use butter or oil all the time. One thing is that you should heat your pan for a bit before adding the fat. Also, don't heat it using high heat. Don't go higher than medium high. That being said, you may have to scrub the pans after cooking. They don't always come out clean as advertised. 

Honored Contributor

I have 2 Gotham Steel from QVC.  No scratches, but some marks on one area where something was slightly burned.    They still look pretty good though.  (Mine have the copper color inside and a different color exterior.)  My favorite pans are Curtis Stone from HSN. 

Honored Contributor

I also have the Power Air Fryer that Eric sold on QVC.  Copper color pan/basket.  Cleans up super clean  with no trouble at all. 

Honored Contributor

I frequently make toasted cheese sandwiches in my copper pan and always butter them.  It hasn't done a thing to the pan so far.  Sometimes I just use a spritz of butter Pam on the bread. That works fine too. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Super Contributor

i don't understand the statement of no butter or oil in these pans. You get a basket to deep fry in the deep pan.  i haven't made grilled cheese yet but I do add a little oil when I cook some type of meat or veggies, for flavor, no problem.

Valued Contributor

@allaries wrote:

I've used butter and oil in my CC with no problems. However, when I made popcorn it left very burnt black marks that I cannot get out.  I heard Eric say today to not use oil for popcorn and to get the pan very hot, didn't work for me..

Honored Contributor

I'm not knocking them or nothing, but, when , I took mine out of the dishwasher at the corner it leaked water. I don't let the dishwasher go to dry cycle because uses to much electricity just let them air dry.

Just shook the water out of it and didn't think anything more about it till I put crisco in it and put on the stove then it leaked grease and started smoking that's when I knew it must be damaged. pitched in trash.

Like I've said before the best skillets are at Sam's Club called Chef's choice

going today to buy another one. Keep 2 in rotation.