Respected Contributor

Re: For those of you who own the copper chef pans

<While Cooking •  We recommend low to medium heat settings for most cooking. The Cerami-Tech coating distributes heat more effectively and evenly. This causes some protein-rich foods to cook more quickly.  •  The Cerami-Tech coating does not require the use of butter or cooking oil. If you choose to use oil or butter, we recommend oil or butter with a high smoke point: refined olive oil, peanut oil, corn oil and (clarified) butter. •  Do not use extra virgin olive oil or oil sprays. They cannot withstand high heating and will leave a thin carbonized layer on the non-stick coating.>

The above is from the link from the 'manual' on the shopping page here. I do not know whre canola oil fits in , but plan to research it.

I bought an 8" skillet at Wal Mart for $15.  and used before I purchased the 9.5 ' + others from QVC . I wanted to try it before I invested & I needed a  new 8". So far I love them all. I usually just wipe with a paper towel unless I cooked fish or something. It is so easy I feel putting in dw would just waste time and dw space. 

Honored Contributor

Bought me another Sam's Club 10 in skillet Mon. (not stainless steel one)

Best they're is . Not cheap , but , last forever.

Respected Contributor

I use butter and oil in my Copper Chef..I even deep fry in oil in it...never had a problem...I do NOT use metal utensils..Have had it over a year and love it still

Trusted Contributor

Here's the deal, in my experience. First, the directions that come with the pan advise against using butter, based on the temperature at which butter burns. Almost made me not keep the pan. Then I realized that the pan is very thin, and conducts heat fast, so it gets hotter than most pans. That's neither good nor bad, but it does affect how you use it. I either use no fat or an oil with a higher heat tolerance like avocado, or else I turn the heat down lower than other pans and watch what I'm cooking more closely. Either can work, depending on what you're cooking. The bottom line for me is that I use the pan selectively. I probably wouldn't grill sandwiches in it. I do like meat in it, I saute in it, and frittatas work well also. Hope that helps.

Honored Contributor

I purchased one Copper Chef pan, from BB&B, to fry an egg in the morning. Not impressed at all with this "wonder" pan. 

"Pure Michigan"