Honored Contributor

Been reacquainted with oatmeal lately.  Do you eat it, how, and any steel oatmeal eaters?  I don't understand steel oats.  Have to look that one up.  I love a little brown sugar on it.  I do it with water.  On a cold morning,it's comfort, and that use to be a fond thing in cookies I use to make.

Do you do anything with oatmeal?

Honored Contributor

Love oatmeal!  The quick cook kind:  1 cup of water, 1/2 cup of oatmeal, 90 seconds in the microwave.  Add brown sugar, dried cranberries and a bit of 1/2 and 1/2.  Very filling and great on a cold winter morning.

Trusted Contributor

I also have been having oatmeal every morning.  I make mine with milk and put cinnamon, nutmeg, vanilla extract in it.  If I have rippened banana or apple sauce will add those as well.

Honored Contributor

@qualitygal   frequent breakfast -  5 minute cooked with raisins topped with a bit of brown sugar, walnuts and some warmed milk

infrequently - cookies with raisins and walnuts

When I lived in the North, I bought the big Costco bax of oatmeal.  Now the big supermarket box is enough unless I know I am making cookies several times soon after I need a pantry refill.

Respected Contributor

I like it in very cold weather a few time a week  I buy the Quarker instant - just add boiling water to a packet - 25% less sugar with maple and brown sugar.  It's yummy and very filling - sticks with me longer than anything else I eat for breakfast.  

Valued Contributor

Re: For the love of oatmeal

[ Edited ]

@qualitygal 

I agree! On cold weekend mornings, I like to have a bowl of nice warm oatmeal. As far as steel-cut oats: they are simply the kernel before it is smashed or rolled like the ones you get from Quaker Oats. They have a nice nutty flavor and have a nice chew to them. They do take longer to cook, but are well worth it! Yummy! 

My son loves baked oatmeal. It is cooked then baked in the oven so it is much thicker. You can literally cut it in a square. He had it at Boy Scout camp and requests it often.

In addition: If you find you like steel-cut oats, try a grain called Kamut. It cooks like Steel-cut oats and cooks down to a porridge-like texture but a little chewy. So good! 

Respected Contributor

i eat the old fashion ones, almost every day. Sometimes add raisins, nuts or blueberrries. Love brown sugar on top, but that's a splurge. No milk for me.

Esteemed Contributor

Oatmeal with a handful of raisins and water is my morning breakfast. Microwaved for three minutes = perfect! It keeps my bloodsugar fine for the day. Smiley Happy

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

I love it as and adult but not very much as a child.  I was more of the Cream of Wheat kid before school.  I do not eat regular oatmeal but the instant Sugar Free kind.  I even eat if for dinner many nights.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Valued Contributor

This is my favorite oatmeal. Perhaps the box has something to do with it?

53D0DD9F-9D4E-43B2-B8DC-1105F0D1A459.jpeg