Honored Contributor

I've eaten oats on and off my whole life.  When we were little and going to grade school and the weather was cold, Mom would make up a nice hot bowl of them.  Sometimes with brown sugar, sometimes with a little fruit.  I love the old fashioned ones the best - Quaker Oats.  But I have gotten lazy and and eaten the quick cook ones and also the packets you microwave with the different flavors.  I also have eaten the steel cut ones.  Don't see much difference -- just a little more grainy.  I usually make mine with just water.  I've even on occasion made them for my dinner! 

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

@qualitygal  Love oatmeal. quacker raisin date walnut, I add blueberries sometimes

Respected Contributor

I love steel cut oatmeal with blueberries. 

Honored Contributor

Oh do I ever miss my oatmeal and cream of wheat! I eat very low carb now and have given these up. Yes, I know they are supposed to be good for me but these carbs totally raise my blood sugar instantly. But I do long for them.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Re: I love steel cut oatmeal, probably because of all the fix...

@phoenixbrd  Sounds delicious!  For ANY time!  I was waiting for someone to mention Maple Syrup!  SOO good on Oatmeal!  and Grapenuts and milk warmed in the Micowave. 

Honored Contributor

Re: I love steel cut oatmeal, probably because of all the fix...

Never, ever ate it as a kid - my mom didn't make us anything she didn't like. I guess that's understandable.

I taught myself to like it a couple of years ago. It certainly wasn't love at first bite.  Oddly enough, I like it for lunch on weekends when I have the time. I make it with whole milk, on the stove top and add raisins or dried berries - no sugar or sweeteners.

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

Love eggless oatmeal cookies with walnuts and dates or if I have them cashews.

Honored Contributor

@Pooky1 wrote:

I love oatmeal. I always have. I buy quick cooking oatmeal. My wife hates it. She tells me how can you eat that. It looks like vomit. Once she asked me to make her some and I wss shocked but I made it for her. She took one bite of it and said yuk.I just can't. I microwave it with water. I put light brown sugar or maple syrup or both and a little milk. Very good. I bought cream of wheat instead. That my wife likes.

@Pooky1 Maybe she is like me.  I hate cooked oatmeal too--espeically the quick cook kind that is slimy.  If I barely cook thick cut oats or have steel cut cooked I love them.  You might give it a try!  No.  I wouldn't slimy quick oats either!  Woman Embarassed

Valued Contributor

Re: For the love of oatmeal

[ Edited ]

DH and I love steel cut oatmeal with brown sugar and milk. Kind of simple for us.