Trusted Contributor
On 3/4/2015 kathoderay said:

Here's a video for easy beef stew.

You're awesome, kathoderay, thanks!!

Honored Contributor
adoreqvc, you contribute many wonderful recipes, and the detail you take the time to include reflects your love of cooking. Your contented way of life is rare these days, and I appreciate you very much. I do enjoy your posts, and I hope you continue to share. You have a wonderful day my friend.
Trusted Contributor
On 3/4/2015 athenian said: You've gotten good advice on the stew; if you don't have good basic cookbook, i.e., Joy of Cooking, Fannie Farmer, or my favorite, The Settlement Ccokbook (it may be out of print), get one. They have how-tos from the very basic to advanced. It's how my mother learned to cook; she went as an adult from couldn't boil water to a very good cook. You will, too!

Thanks for the encouragement, athenian! I feel embarrassed of everything I make, nothing ever seems good enough to me. I want to be a confident cook like you girls are.

Respected Contributor
On 3/4/2015 TuesdayTaylor said:
On 3/4/2015 adoreqvc said:

Hi Tuesday Taylor,

Sorry I could not reply sooner...

I always brown first, then I add flavored broth and in the case of beef stew I will add low sodium beef broth which also adds great flavor.<br />

Yes browning the meat first will caramelize the meat, which also adds a lot of flavor to it, and if I am making any stew I also add the sliced onions in with the meat to brown and caramelize them first and then at the last minute I will also add some minced garlic to incorporate that flavor into the food too.<br />

As for whether or not to remove the skin from carrots and potatoes, I believe that is a personal preference.

Some like the skins of various vegetables on, and remove them after they have cooked (like potatoes), and some remove the skins of all vegetables before they cook.

I leave the skin on when I use new red potatoes and I wash them very well and quarter them. Then I add them into what I am cooking or roasting. Same for baked potatoes which I wash first remove imperfections, then oil well, add some spice flavoring to the oiled outer skin, and then bake in the oven.

I always add a splash of wine or sherry to mine to give it an added depth of flavor. The beef stock or water (your preference) can be added after you brown and caramelize the meat. You can also flavor with your own preference of spices too.

I hope your beef stew turns out fabulously, happy cooking and happy eating my friend!<br />

<br />

<br />

Thank you adore!! I knew that you'd know exactly what to do!

You are very welcome TuesdayTaylor!

No one was born knowing everything.

Cooking is not only a learning experience but it should also be a fun creative experience.

Life teaches us many valuable skills and lessons, and yes cookbooks also many many better cooks and do help quite a bit......so nothing is impossible.Experiment carefully, create something you think may be wonderful to eat just ensure it is cooked properly and thoroughly.

If you can do invest in an instant digital read thermometer which you can push the probe into the food and know the exact temperature and also do the same for frying oil. Instant read thermometers are great, save time, save your sanity especially if your oven is not properly calibrated, and oven thermometers are a must which are left inside since many ovens are not calibrated and may tend to run fast, slow, on the cooler side or run very hot.

Trusted Contributor

Hi Tuesday Taylor,

I always brown first, then I add flavored broth and in the case of beef stew I will add low sodium beef broth which also adds great flavor.<br />

Yes browning the meat first will caramelize the meat, which also adds a lot of flavor to it, and if I am making any stew I also add the sliced onions in with the meat to brown and caramelize them first and then at the last minute I will also add some minced garlic to incorporate that flavor into the food too.<br />

As for whether or not to remove the skin from carrots and potatoes, I believe that is a personal preference.

Some like the skins of various vegetables on, and remove them after they have cooked (like potatoes), and some remove the skins of all vegetables before they cook.

I leave the skin on when I use new red potatoes and I wash them very well and quarter them. Then I add them into what I am cooking or roasting. Same for baked potatoes which I wash first remove imperfections, then oil well, add some spice flavoring to the oiled outer skin, and then bake in the oven.

I always add a splash of wine or sherry to mine to give it an added depth of flavor. The beef stock or water (your preference) can be added after you brown and caramelize the meat. You can also flavor with your own preference of spices too.

I hope your beef stew turns out fabulously, happy cooking and happy eating my friend!<br />

<br />

<br />

Cooking is not only a learning experience but it should also be a fun creative experience.

Life teaches us many valuable skills and lessons, and yes cookbooks also many many better cooks and do help quite a bit......so nothing is impossible.Experiment carefully, create something you think may be wonderful to eat just ensure it is cooked properly and thoroughly.

If you can do invest in an instant digital read thermometer which you can push the probe into the food and know the exact temperature and also do the same for frying oil. Instant read thermometers are great, save time, save your sanity especially if your oven is not properly calibrated, and oven thermometers are a must which are left inside since many ovens are not calibrated and may tend to run fast, slow, on the cooler side or run very hot.

Thanks for your great ideas and advice! It's nice having you here, like my very own mom/cooking instructor. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor
On 3/4/2015 Tissyanne said: adoreqvc, you contribute many wonderful recipes, and the detail you take the time to include reflects your love of cooking. Your contented way of life is rare these days, and I appreciate you very much. I do enjoy your posts, and I hope you continue to share. You have a wonderful day my friend.

Thank you for your lovely kind reply my friend, and I hope you have a very lovely day as well.

Tissyanne replies as lovely as yours makes all the input I type and give no matter how entailed, well worth the effort on my part.

When people appreciate the extra time it takes to include various tips and hints from my knowledge and love of cooking and baking....... then that makes me feel very happy that I was able to share with others who also are learning or love to also cook and learn new things.

With that said I wish to again thank you again Tissyanne for your very kind thoughtful reply, and also thank all my other QVC pals as well.

Respected Contributor

Hi Tuesday Taylor,

<br />

<br />

Thanks for your great ideas and advice! It's nice having you here, like my very own mom/cooking instructor. Smiley Happy

Now that reply made my night, and I am so honored!!!!!

Please do go back up and read my reply to you with the ****** asterisks I placed on the portion I added to make it more understandable for you as to the steps I suggest.

Trusted Contributor
On 3/4/2015 Tissyanne said: adoreqvc, you contribute many wonderful recipes, and the detail you take the time to include reflects your love of cooking. Your contented way of life is rare these days, and I appreciate you very much. I do enjoy your posts, and I hope you continue to share. You have a wonderful day my friend.

This is so true, Tissyanne. I really also appreciate what Adore shares with us here. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

The Kitchen Forum is my favorite forum, here on the Q Boards. There are so many really great people that post here on this particular forum, and that take the time to share of themselves here, and I really appreciate that, too.

It means so much to me, that they care enough to do that. I really look forward to coming here! Smile

Esteemed Contributor

Just want to say that I admire you TuesdayTaylor for being humble enough to come on here and ask. No, none of us were born knowing how to cook! We have all been where you are and if you don't learn at home, you buy a cookbook and start there. The internet is full of good information but nothing like the advice of a good seasoned cook! You are smart to ask!

Super Contributor
On 3/4/2015 kathoderay said:

Here's a video for easy beef stew.

You're awesome, kathoderay, thanks!!

You're welcome! {#emotions_dlg.biggrin}