Trusted Contributor
On 3/4/2015 Zhills said:

Just want to say that I admire you TuesdayTaylor for being humble enough to come on here and ask. No, none of us were born knowing how to cook! We have all been where you are and if you don't learn at home, you buy a cookbook and start there. The internet is full of good information but nothing like the advice of a good seasoned cook! You are smart to ask!

Oh my goodness, I just saw this, thank you, Zhills!

Trusted Contributor

Adore, I made a beef stew! I have to admit I almost chickened-out, I got intimidated reading about meat thermometers and braising! But I put together a very simple stew and it didn't turn out half bad! Thank you for your help! I always read your food posts, I appreciate you! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor
On 3/6/2015 TuesdayTaylor said:

Adore, I made a beef stew! I have to admit I almost chickened-out, I got intimidated reading about meat thermometers and braising! But I put together a very simple stew and it didn't turn out half bad! Thank you for your help! I always read your food posts, I appreciate you! Smiley Happy

Dear Tuesday Taylor,

I am so thrilled to read your reply TuesdayTaylor!

BRAVO!!!!!!

See...... I told you cooking should not be intimidating at all.

I am so happy you enjoy and learn from my posts.........Good because one is never too knowledgeable, or too young, or old to learn something new every day!

Now do not let cooking terms and hints intimidate you ever again!

Braising means to cook low and slow. Some cuts of meat actually benefit from braising methods.

Browning is to caramelize the meat and brown it in butter or a little oil, until it is a rich dark brown Carmel color. Browning also caramelizes and infuses the food like your beef stew, and adding onions and garlic also enhance the flavor and caramelize too along with the stew meat.

Here are a few quick kitchen knowledge education tips, about using and choosing meat thermometers, oven thermometers, and digital battery operated instant read thermometers.....There is nothing intimidating about them either.

There are three different food thermometer categories below...and there are also others I did not list, which can be placed outside of the oven and programmed while the food probe is on a long heat proof wire and that is placed inside of whatever you are oven roasting. These tend to be expensive, and many do not last long so I bypassed this category completely.

These 3 below are what I personally recommend for you now...#'s 1, 2, and 3.

#1 is a leave in your stay inside of your stove sitting straight up or hanging on the oven wire rack type oven thermometer.

It tells you the exact temperature of the inside of your oven cavity area. It is most accurate and may differ from the degrees you personally set on your oven.

Not all ovens run accurately.

To be completely accurate temperature wise they must be professionally calibrated when you receive them and they are installed but unfortunately many are not.

Therefore your oven can run hotter or colder than what you set it to, and the only way to be sure of your inside oven degrees temperature when you use your oven to cook, roast, or bake, is to have one of these stay in the oven all the time food temp thermometers.

#2 Is the instant read thermometer.

#3 is the probe in the food thermometers you place in and leave in as it roasts in the oven.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is nice to be able to have all three but you can probably start out with two....and that may be all you need.

I personally recommend for you to try the the stand and leave in the oven thermometer #1 and the #3 probe into the meat and cook thermometer/

#1 will have to be replaced when it becomes too soiled to be able to read, and never try to clean it. Just use it as long as you can read what the inside oven degrees are. (A flashlight may may be needed depending where you decide to place it to remain until you need a new one).

Same for #3 as it will become soiled in time too, which is why i bought #2 which I always use and it never becomes soiled. I just use a Huggies wet one wipe to wipe off the stainless steel part of the probe after I have used it. The exact type I bought is expensive from Thermapen and looks like this one I posted, but i have it for so many years and it is still running on the same battery and looks as brand new now as it was when I bought it years ago....

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below is your link for the sit in your oven thermometer....

http://www.amazon.com/Cooper-Atkins-24HP-01-1-Stainless-Thermometer-Temperature/dp/B00125TABM/ref=sr...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next are the instant read thermometers which you open place the long probe tip into your meat and it will instantly tell you if it is cooked and how many degrees it is. Then you will know if you need to continue to cook it to reach the safe degrees to remove and eat it, or let it cook even more to reach that safe degrees temperature.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Accurate-High-Performing-Digital-Thermometer/dp/B00GRFHXVQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=...

Lastly is the in probe thermometers:

http://www.amazon.com/CDN-IRM200-Glow-ProAccurate-Ovenproof-Thermometer/dp/B00CD5NI0E/ref=sr_1_6?s=h...

I hope these make it easier for you to get the correct oven temps and fully cook your foods according to U.S. Cooking standards.

Good Luck my dear TuesdayTaylor and I include more hugs to you as you always make my day, and make me happy to keep participating on the QVC bb's.

God Bless you dear child, and any other questions just give me a holler on the kitchen talk category{#emotions_dlg.tt1}.

Trusted Contributor
On 3/6/2015 adoreqvc said:

Dear Tuesday Taylor,

BRAVO!!!!!!

I am so happy you enjoy and learn from my posts.........Good because one is never too knowledgeable, or too young, or old to learn something new every day!

Braising means to cook low and slow. Some cuts of meat actually benefit from braising methods.

Browning is to caramelize the meat and brown it in butter or a little oil, until it is a rich dark brown Carmel color. Browning also caramelizes and infuses the food like your beef stew, and adding onions and garlic also enhance the flavor and caramelize too along with the stew meat.

Here are a few quick kitchen knowledge education tips, about using and choosing meat thermometers, oven thermometers, and digital battery operated instant read thermometers.....There is nothing intimidating about them either.

There are three different food thermometer categories below...and there are also others I did not list, which can be placed outside of the oven and programmed while the food probe is on a long heat proof wire and that is placed inside of whatever you are oven roasting. These tend to be expensive, and many do not last long so I bypassed this category completely.

#1 is a leave in your stay inside of your stove sitting straight up or hanging on the oven wire rack type oven thermometer.

It tells you the exact temperature of the inside of your oven cavity area. It is most accurate and may differ from the degrees you personally set on your oven.

To be completely accurate temperature wise they must be professionally calibrated when you receive them and they are installed but unfortunately many are not.

Therefore your oven can run hotter or colder than what you set it to, and the only way to be sure of your inside oven degrees temperature when you use your oven to cook, roast, or bake, is to have one of these stay in the oven all the time food temp thermometers.

#3 is the probe in the food thermometers you place in and leave in as it roasts in the oven.
It is nice to be able to have all three but you can probably start out with two....and that may be all you need.

I personally recommend for you to try the the stand and leave in the oven thermometer #1 and the #3 probe into the meat and cook thermometer/

#1 will have to be replaced when it becomes too soiled to be able to read, and never try to clean it. Just use it as long as you can read what the inside oven degrees are. (A flashlight may may be needed depending where you decide to place it to remain until you need a new one).

Same for #3 as it will become soiled in time too, which is why i bought #2 which I always use and it never becomes soiled. I just use a Huggies wet one wipe to wipe off the stainless steel part of the probe after I have used it. The exact type I bought is expensive from Thermapen and looks like this one I posted, but i have it for so many years and it is still running on the same battery and looks as brand new now as it was when I bought it years ago....

http://www.amazon.com/Cooper-Atkins-24HP-01-1-Stainless-Thermometer-Temperature/dp/B00125TABM/ref=sr...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Next are the instant read thermometers which you open place the long probe tip into your meat and it will instantly tell you if it is cooked and how many degrees it is. Then you will know if you need to continue to cook it to reach the safe degrees to remove and eat it, or let it cook even more to reach that safe degrees temperature.

http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Accurate-High-Performing-Digital-Thermometer/dp/B00GRFHXVQ/ref=sr_1_1?s=...

http://www.amazon.com/CDN-IRM200-Glow-ProAccurate-Ovenproof-Thermometer/dp/B00CD5NI0E/ref=sr_1_6?s=h...

I hope these make it easier for you to get the correct oven temps and fully cook your foods according to U.S. Cooking standards.

Good Luck my dear TuesdayTaylor and I include more hugs to you as you always make my day, and make me happy to keep participating on the QVC bb's.

God Bless you dear child, and any other questions just give me a holler on the kitchen talk category{#emotions_dlg.tt1}.

This information is so helpful, thank you! I'm going to save this for sure. I just love you, Adore! Smile

Respected Contributor
On 3/8/2015 TuesdayTaylor said:

Dear Tuesday Taylor,

BRAVO!!!!!!

This information is so helpful, thank you! I'm going to save this for sure. I just love you, Adore! Smile

Hi sweetie,

I recall when you replied.....Thanks for your great ideas and advice! It's nice having you here, like my very own mom/cooking instructor. Smiley Happy

After all our vast QVC cyber cooking lessons, helpful tips, as well as fun cyber chats, how could I not help but love you back..... I Do!!!!!!!!

Now enjoy yourself cooking and creating{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}, and make everyone proud of your delicious wonderful creative cooking.baking accomplishments!

Trusted Contributor
On 3/9/2015 adoreqvc said:

Dear Tuesday Taylor,

BRAVO!!!!!!

Hi sweetie,

I recall when you replied.....Thanks for your great ideas and advice! It's nice having you here, like my very own mom/cooking instructor. Smiley Happy

After all our vast QVC cyber cooking lessons, helpful tips, as well as fun cyber chats, how could I not help but love you back..... I Do!!!!!!!!

Now enjoy yourself cooking and creating{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}, and make everyone proud of your delicious wonderful creative cooking.baking accomplishments!

(((Hugs))) for Adore.

Respected Contributor
On 3/10/2015 TuesdayTaylor said:
On 3/9/2015 adoreqvc said:

Dear Tuesday Taylor,

BRAVO!!!!!!

Hi sweetie,

(((Hugs))) for Adore.

(((HUGS ))) AND Smile{#emotions_dlg.rolleyes}{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}{#emotions_dlg.thumbup} WITH LOVE BACK TO YOU!!!