Valued Contributor

Re: Foodsaver TSV not getting out all the air.

I have been doing the paper towel trick for years as well. Never had a problem. Love the Food Saver!

Honored Contributor

tkins - thanks for the heads up. I will look at mine to see if it has that setting just in case I hit it when I move it around when I'm cleaning or something.

debc - thanks for the tip and the picture! I do love visuals Smiley Very Happy

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Respected Contributor

I've never had one with an adjustment wheel. Interesting. Luckily I haven't had a problem.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Valued Contributor

On 9/22/2014 tkins said:

I have an older model Food Saver, so I am not sure if the newer models have or even need this, but check the bottom (it may be in a different location on newer models) of your machine to see if there is an Altitude Adjustment wheel, it may just need adjusting high or low, depending on your altitude. When we moved from sea level to 4000 feet, I thought my machine had gotten damaged in the move. It worked fine the last time I used before we moved, but when I went to use it after, it was doing the same thing you are describing. I didn't even know there was such a thing, but once I adjusted it, it was working as good as before. Another thing I find that helps is once you position the bag in the channel, I lock the lid down and then press on top with one hand and push the button with the other, but Like I said, I have a much older model, that may not be needed with the newer ones.

Good Luck

tkins

Thanks for the tip. That is really interesting. I don't see anything on there to adjust or even indicate altitude. I had the old flat model for about 10 years. I never had a problem. It always sealed perfectly but then just died one day. I thought the upright would be very convenient since it can hold and cut bags. Maybe it's just not as good as the old flat model but I'm going to try the paper towel trick.
Honored Contributor

On 9/22/2014 debc said:

I agree with Nightowlz. If it's frozen it's not moist, but I never even use the moist setting on mine. I do fold over strips of paper towels for raw meat.

I do the same thing on really moist items like sandwich meat or bacon. I did not have to use a paper towel on the steaks I just sealed.

Honored Contributor

On 9/22/2014 debc said:
On 9/22/2014 Cardamom said: Thank you all so much. I'll try the dry setting. Debc what do you mean you fold a paper towel over the meat? Do you mean you blot it dry before sealing or you place a paper towel under it while sealing? Thanks.

I do blot the meat but I take about 2'' width of paper towel and fold it twice and make it the width of my bag. I put it down above the meat. When I vacuum I never get moisture in my trays. I see they sell moisture guard bags now. I laugh when I see them, I've been doing the paper towels for over 20 years.

Those bags cost more money. I had to buy a box once as that's all they had in the store. Now I order the 5 roll box online at Wal-Mart that has 3 larger rolls & 2 of the smaller size. I just cut them to fit instead of buying any bags.

Honored Contributor

On 9/22/2014 Cardamom said: Thanks debc!!! And a picture too!! Brilliant! I'm going to do that. I've never heard of doing that. Great tip!!

I never thought of doing it until I saw the bags the sell with the towel strip on them. LOL!!!

Respected Contributor

LOL, I'm sure they saw someone call in and say they did this and thought 'Hey we could sell those' Smiley Happy

~~
Valued Contributor

On 9/22/2014 Nightowlz said:
On 9/22/2014 Cardamom said: Thanks debc!!! And a picture too!! Brilliant! I'm going to do that. I've never heard of doing that. Great tip!!

I never thought of doing it until I saw the bags the sell with the towel strip on them. LOL!!!

I think the regular bags are a lot of money. I can just imagine those bags. I actually bought the food saver because I had $50 worth of bags after my old sealer broke. Lol. I'll be sure to check walmart for bags. Thanks. I used to get mine at Bed bath & beyond. I don't mind cutting and making my own with the cutter attached it's pretty easy. Smiley Happy
Respected Contributor

On 9/22/2014 Cardamom said:
On 9/22/2014 Nightowlz said:

I think the regular bags are a lot of money. I can just imagine those bags. I actually bought the food saver because I had $50 worth of bags after my old sealer broke. Lol. I'll be sure to check walmart for bags. Thanks. I used to get mine at Bed bath & beyond. I don't mind cutting and making my own with the cutter attached it's pretty easy. Smiley Happy

It's a lot cheaper to make your own, and I put a lot of stuff in jars so that saves on bags also.

~~