Trusted Contributor

I just brought out my Foodsaver for the first time. I made a bag and I'm going to freeze Ground Beef. It says to freeze for two hours before sealing or put a paper towel in so there is no leakage. I assume you are then sealing the paper towel in there? I'm following instructions. Here is a link to the one I have. Mine does have a moist setting.

http://www.qvc.com/.product.K28478.html?sc=K28478-ISRC

Honored Contributor

I wouldn't vacuum and seal hamburger without freezing it first because the vacuum (even the moist setting) isn't adequate enough to stop the juices from running out of the bag while it's vacuuming and sealing. I never put a paper towel in with it either because I can't imagine having to deal with paper stuck to the meat (froz or unfrozen)...

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Esteemed Contributor

Now there are moisture barrier bags, expensive but no more wet mess.

Some times with par-freezing we'd end up with ice crystals and later freezer burn. Exactly what we were trying to avoid all along.

Honored Contributor

Moisture barrier bags...!! Thanks for the tip, I didn't know they were out there!

*~"Never eat more than you can lift......" Miss Piggy~*
Trusted Contributor
On 4/8/2015 Mary Bailey said:

Some times with par-freezing we'd end up with ice crystals and later freezer burn. Exactly what we were trying to avoid all along.

Where do you get these Moisture Bags?

Honored Contributor

Just choose the moist option on the foodsaver. I never prefreeze ground meat before vacuum sealing.

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Esteemed Contributor
On 4/8/2015 Katey1261 said:
On 4/8/2015 Mary Bailey said:

Where do you get these Moisture Bags?

Kohl's I stock up when I have 30% coupon

Trusted Contributor
On 4/8/2015 jaxs mom said:

Just choose the moist option on the foodsaver. I never prefreeze ground meat before vacuum sealing.

Thank you jaxs mom. So I can vacuum seal with the moist setting? That is even easier.

Esteemed Contributor
On 4/8/2015 Katey1261 said:
On 4/8/2015 jaxs mom said:

Thank you jaxs mom. So I can vacuum seal with the moist setting? That is even easier.

Moist will work for some items. We freeze lunches for DH and anything with gravy still made a mess.

Esteemed Contributor

Before using foodsaver bags - put meat - meatballs - steak on a cookie sheet (or wax paper) and pre-freeze in your self defrosting refrigerator freezer for an hour or so - when juices stop running - put in freezer bags /seal/put back in freezer.