New Contributor

Foods without onion or garlic

Many people are allergic to foods containing anything from the lily family - onions, garlic, scallions, shallots and asparagus are the most common ingredients. Please source products that enable those of us with these allergies to purchase items that do not contain these items. There are many items that we've bought previously that we are no longer able to eat but would love to have: crab cakes, chicken & dumplings, etc. We've adapted recipes to accommodate family allergies to nuts, certain shellfish, and gluten - now this.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Foods without onion or garlic

Why not cook from scratch? That way, you know what you are eating.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor

While I understand your predicament, QVC has to market to the widest possible market. If QVC were to begin eliminating foods to which small numbers of people are allergic, they would sell no food at all.

Esteemed Contributor

Oh! She buys food from QVC! wow

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

Hi trinityhill -- I think you mean the Allium family, not lily family. Here's a link that talks about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium

I have this same problem, and it is really challenging to go out to dinner, although we have found some wonderful restaurants, mostly family-owned, who cook simply and make entrees without sauces that contain garlic and onions. Most chain restaurants are off the list, unless they are upscale, healthy ones like Seasons 52 who cater to those of us with allium allergies (or other people with gluten or other allergies). My problem is that I get migraines from foods containing garlic and onions, and even the smell of garlic and onions sends me running.

It's best to avoid prepared, processed frozen entrees with sauces from the grocery store or other food sellers.

Cook simply at home and use other seasonings like basil, parsley, thyme and lemon to enhance chicken and pastas. Beef can be cooked with just salt and pepper. Seafood can be broiled or steamed plain with lemon added at the end. Steam vegetables plain.

You can do it! Good luck, EEL Smile

Honored Contributor

My daughter developed a food sensitivity to onions, almost overnight. Her doctors say it's not a real allergy, they call it a "sensitivity." Anyway. it sure is a pain to find pre made food or eat in a restaurant. She has to carry an EPI pen in her purse at all times.

My best advice is to learn to read the ingredients in all food you buy at the grocery store, and secondly, make food from scratch.

There are some foods that are really difficult to find without onions, and it's almost impossible to feel trust in restaurant workers who assure you there is no onion in certain meals. A lot of the time the onion is in the sauce and they don't even know it.

There is a spaghetti sauce you can buy, premade, with no onion. If I remember correctly it's Classico Sun Dried Tomato.

How are you doing so far?

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Trusted Contributor

My sons ex girlfriend hated onions and garlic, not an allergy just a dislike. It was SO hard to make meals for her! Seems like everything contains onions and garlic. I wasn't too sorry when they broke up,lol! Now this girlfriend only eats chicken, no other meat or fish at all. It's easier but still a pain. She's a sweetheart though so I don't mind too much Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

On 1/2/2015 Lynneuk said: My sons ex girlfriend hated onions and garlic, not an allergy just a dislike. It was SO hard to make meals for her! Seems like everything contains onions and garlic. I wasn't too sorry when they broke up,lol! Now this girlfriend only eats chicken, no other meat or fish at all. It's easier but still a pain. She's a sweetheart though so I don't mind too much Smiley Happy

I'd cook as though she's vegetarian. You probably do that though.

To the OP, had no idea that those were 2 food choices people had problems with. Sorry to hear that. Are you seeking the aid of a professional dietician? That's my only idea for help with your problem.

Trusted Contributor

On 1/2/2015 Lynneuk said: My sons ex girlfriend hated onions and garlic, not an allergy just a dislike. It was SO hard to make meals for her! Seems like everything contains onions and garlic. I wasn't too sorry when they broke up,lol! Now this girlfriend only eats chicken, no other meat or fish at all. It's easier but still a pain. She's a sweetheart though so I don't mind too much Smiley Happy

My grown daughter will also not eat onions. It is always hard to cook for her. Some foods I just do not like without onions. Going out to eat can be difficult as she is always looking for something without onions. Even when she asks for onions to be left off of something, they often put them on anyway. I just feel like she should just get over it.

Honored Contributor

On 1/3/2015 qualitygal said:

I'd cook as though she's vegetarian. You probably do that though.

To the OP, had no idea that those were 2 food choices people had problems with. Sorry to hear that. Are you seeking the aid of a professional dietician? That's my only idea for help with your problem.

From my experience, dieticians aren't that great about recipes.

It took my daughter and I quite awhile to come up with various recipes that taste good without onions. But we did it, and she's learned to be a really good cook in the process.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices