Esteemed Contributor

Re: FoodSaver Users -- HELP🙄🤷‍♀️

I find that you can freeze fresh meat by folding a paper towel narrow and put between the meat and the seal.  It catches any liquid.  

I don't find it worth it to vac-seal items I use often.  You have to 'waste' enough bag to be able to reseal.  Be sure you clean the sealing area well before resealing.  Any residue will prevent a good seal.

I had your model but gave it to my son and got a smaller one for me.  Easier to use, but no storage and cutter for bags.

Hope you learn to enjoy it.

I would like anyone's info for sealing bread and rolls.

Honored Contributor

I just bought a new foodsaver and LOVE the darn thing and use it often. I don't have any problem with any of the functions. It has a button for the moist foods and one for the soft foods. I have re- sealed the used bags with no problem. I have bought generic rolls of bags with no problem and  the cutter works as well as the seal seals tight with no leaks. I don't use it for things I use up fast as stated before, but for loading up my freezer--it works great.  I don't think 3 extra inches for it to seal correctly much waste altho I usually don't give it that much extra. I used it yesterday to seal up extra slices of a cranberry pecan bread that I wanted to save. As far as taking up room in the freezer---I flatten everything before I seal it that can be flatten and then stack it all after it freezes.  Now I know you can't flatten big roasts or whole items but I can still get a good seal. 

Occasional Contributor

I had  a foodsaver about a  year ago.  My issue was I would seal the food, and the unit would not open to release the bag (I would eventually wait about 10 minutes, and then for no reason the bag would release.)

So... I checked for another brand (no affiliation with the company) CASO (based in Germany)  is on QVC and Amazon. I got the simple one, and it is a workhorse.  The bags came with it, and though it i a bit of a search for CASO bags, this machine has been superb since I have had to save food during the lockdown.

I cannot recommend it highly enough, and as for foodsaver, I will NEVER even consider that brand - another waste of $$$ from QVC.  Question of the day: Where is quality control???

Hope this helped.

Respected Contributor

I have a basic food saver I bought on QVC years ago.  All the hints given are very good. 

There was one reason I almost returned my Food Saver, and that was the part about re-using and sealing bags.  This feature DOES NOT work.

Esteemed Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@loriqvc 

I can sew a wedding dress, mans suits, drapes, etc.  can do various home improvement projects but a foodsaver has stumped me🙃🙃

Are these the bags?  I bought the rolls at Kohl's.

5CA62C97-8DE6-4C17-8D54-74ABB5FFA1EA.jpeg

@homedecor1 - Yes, that's the brand I was referencing. I typically just buy the set of quart (8x12") bags to fit smaller items, but several options are available.

Trusted Contributor

@loriqvc 

Thanks for the rec on the Foodsaver type bags from Amazon. I'll check them out. I use my Foodsaver daily and it's my favorite small appliance. Walmart usually has fairly good prices on the bags, but I'll check the Amazon ones as well.

Great tips that you gave the OP. There is definitely a bit of a learning curve when you first start using the Foodsaver, but like you said, once you get the hang of it...it's a game changer for sure.😊

Honored Contributor

Thanks everyone...I chose this model for one reason -- got on sale @ Kohls ($79.99) had 30% off coupon and $20. kohl's cash.  Otherwise, I would have bought the smaller version (not in stock at the time).

I've had it awhile but hadn't done a large meat purchase til past week.

All the tricks and advice are surely welcomed - I'm feeling better that I will try again.  

I will only do meats not necessary to do other things.  We use them up pretty quickly.  Plus, I know I won't use the jar feature.  This model allows 2 sizes of bags, but, think I'll go with @loriqvc advice and check out A next time I need them.

Thank you all again🙂

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1  .. I have been using Foodsavers for years.  I have had several different models.  I have loved all of them.   I have not experienced any of the issues you have mentioned.   I always use the rolls.  Have never used the bags.   Unfortunately, I have no idea what you are doing wrong.   

Honored Contributor

Here's my helpful hint for vac-sealing meat:  

Either freeze or, at least, par-freeze it before you bag & seal it.  This way you accomplish two things.  1)  there won't be any fluids to pull into the machine; and 2) The meat will have expanded BEFORE you vac-seal it, so it maintains a perfect airtight seal without stretching the bag material out as it freezes.

Respected Contributor

I have found that buying foodsaver rolls from the Foodsaver website to be the most economical - they  frequently have BOGO sales. Also I use way more of the 8" rolls than of the 11" rolls and I don't like the combo packs.  I prefer the rolls because the bags are more expensive and frequesntly are too big for my requirements.

As far as sealing cheese I really like the zipper bags (called Freshsaver) so that I can reseal it as I use the cheese. You either have to have the attachment on your unit or buy the separate sealer meant especially for these bags - that is something that lives on my counter since I use it frequently. 

FoodSaver Fresh Food Preservation System, Space Saver