Honored Contributor

Re: Food names - regional differences?

@chickenbutt wrote:

Ooh yeah. Some of the names people use for soft drinks make me cringe.     They are soft drinks!  Smiley Happy   I even heard sody pop one time.  gadzooks!  hehe

Also, I guess Marshmallow Cream is called Fluff in the east.

That's about all I know.

Well, there are some Paula Deen-isms I used to hear but they were just wrong.  For example when she refers to 'confectioner's sugar' she calls it 'confectionate sugar'.   

We have pizza and drink Coke with it.  Subs are good too.  We use marshmallow fluff for fudge, and put powdered sugar on top, which sometimes we call confectioners sugar.  Never heard it called confectionary sugar like that Farm Lady does. The un-cool people called "Coke" "pop" when I was a kid.  I'm just reporting--not judging!  Woman Very Happy

Honored Contributor

@shoesnbags wrote:

In New Orleans we drink "soft drinks" with our "po-boy" sandwiches. And if you want lettuce and tomato on that sandwich, you say that you want it "dressed."

And if you get a roast beef po-boy and want those little brown bits and ends, you ask for it with "debris" which is pronounced "DAY-bree"!  Am I right about that?  LOL!!!

Trusted Contributor

A coke is always a COCA-COLA, a cola would be Pepsi, RC, any name followed by cola,, but a COKE is a coca-cola.  I always ask if it is Coca-cola.  If it is not, I go for DrPepper or root beer.  I have always been able to taste the difference between the colas

I always thought pasta was different than spaghetti and macaroni.  I grew up in California and only heard or read pasta when the younger people started going to dinner.  I have no idea what antipasta is on a menu, that anti is against something, so if it is a salad, say SALAD.  My  first pizza was at the ripe old age of 22.        I don't live in CA anymore,relocated at age 55.      tedEbear

Honored Contributor

@tedEbear wrote:

A coke is always a COCA-COLA, a cola would be Pepsi, RC, any name followed by cola,, but a COKE is a coca-cola.  I always ask if it is Coca-cola.  If it is not, I go for DrPepper or root beer.  I have always been able to taste the difference between the colas

I always thought pasta was different than spaghetti and macaroni.  I grew up in California and only heard or read pasta when the younger people started going to dinner.  I have no idea what antipasta is on a menu, that anti is against something, so if it is a salad, say SALAD.  My  first pizza was at the ripe old age of 22.        I don't live in CA anymore,relocated at age 55.      tedEbear

At my advanced age, when I was growing up there was spaghetti and maccaroni.  I can't remember any other "pasta" so the word wasn't used.  I think "pasta" came in with the carbs fad diets in what, the late 1970s?  I don't think I ever heard of pizza until I was in probably the seventh grade or so and Shakey's came to town!  

Around here you ask for a Coke and they will say "We don't have Coke we only have Pepsi.  Is that OK?"  And you say GOOD GAWD no!    LOL!!!!  There are a few misguided Pepsi folk, but here it is not the norm!  Also, we are all about ice.  We can't get enough ice in our drinks.  McDonalds is notorious for being stingy with ice.  Now SONIC has the best ice in the world, and if you ask for "extra ice" they give  you a full cup of the stuff!  I LOVE their drinks because of that special ice they have--it is sort of flaky and not hard if you want to eat the ice.

Barbecue is brisket around here, and if you want pork, you ask for sliced or chopped pork.

Respected Contributor

@tedEbear

I sometimes order pasta and antipasto and let them fight it out. Woman Very Happy

Denise
Respected Contributor

My husband was from southern Ohio and his family always referred to cold cuts as 'sausage'.  I was from western Pa. And they were referred to as 'lunch meat'.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I agree that "pasta" is a relatively recent term for spaghetti or macaroni........when I was growing up, they were all lumped into one category called "noodles".

Respected Contributor

@newjerseygirl wrote:

Sprinkles or Jimmies

JIMMIES

Respected Contributor

Here in Chicago we say pop, a Coke is Coca Cola, pasta is spaghetti, a sub is (mostly) Italian submarine sandwich, etc but then I grew up in an Italian neighborhood so maybe things were different, some said gravy, some said sauce, some said sugo, for spaghetti sauce, so even there things were called by different names

Esteemed Contributor

Grew up in Boston:

jimmies - not sprinkles

subs - not hogies

pizza - not pies

we have split top hot dog rolls

frappes - not milk shakes, they are different

real clams - not clam strips

brown eggs - not white