Honored Contributor
On 12/12/2014 Campion said:

I hate buying the Chinese garlic because by the time it gets to us, it's moldy and dried out. I barely get half a bulb used, and it's ruined. We grow GREAT garlic in the US, but you can't find it. I checked even our local huge farm stand and they only are carrying the Chinese garlic. I resent buying stale, moldy garlic.

I recently read that a huge percentage, like 95%, of garlic sold in the US is from China.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor
On 12/13/2014 Kachina624 said:

I hate buying the Chinese garlic because by the time it gets to us, it's moldy and dried out. I barely get half a bulb used, and it's ruined. We grow GREAT garlic in the US, but you can't find it. I checked even our local huge farm stand and they only are carrying the Chinese garlic. I resent buying stale, moldy garlic.

I recently read that a huge percentage, like 95%, of garlic sold in the US is from China.

Based on my survey of every store I shop at, it is 95% Chinese garlic. It must be dirt cheap. I hate it.

Frequent Contributor
Let's say this, I refuse to buy anything for my dog from China, so why would I buy it for myself/family? Duh
Regular Contributor
I was shopping for Christmas treats to put in a package I am mailing to out-of-state family. One of my very young family members adores the movie Frozen. I came across a piece of foiled covered solid chocolate (I believe it was shaped like a stocking) with the Frozen sisters on it. It wasn't made by a well-known brand and I always hesitate to buy chocolate that isn't from a well-known manufacturer because they usually taste waxy (like those from Palmers Chocolate). I flipped the box over and it said Made in China! Just thought I would post this as a heads up to anyone else out there maybe buying stocking stuffers for someone who loves the movie and wouldn't have thought to look where it was made. Funny thing is, everywhere I've shopped that is selling these usually has a box load of them...nobody seems to be buying them! I can see them all on clearance in a couple weeks.
Honored Contributor

It is up to us to do the best we can with finding food that we think is safe and good for us. It is a sad fact, but I look at everything I buy now. It is irritating to have to do this and time consuming. But if the consumer just buys whatever, we'll only have whatever to eat.

Honored Contributor
On 12/12/2014 Sooner said:
On 12/12/2014 suzyQ3 said:
On 12/12/2014 Sooner said:

I won't eat anything I know is made, manufactured or produced in China. HOWEVER, if Chinese people are doing business in this country and abiding by the FDA, I have absolutely no problems with that and have eaten in Asian restaurants a lot.

Then it would be impossible for you to cook most Chinese or other Asian dishes. Also, when you eat in those Asian restaurants, you are undoubtedly eating some canned, jarred, or bottled food produced in China.

Well, you can pick anything to pieces in this world if you enjoy doing that. I cook a LOT of Asian stir frys and dishes and with fresh USA grown veggies that are organic when I get them. Yes, I'm sure most people get some Chinese food out not knowing. I seldom order seafood (away from the coast at local places) because I expect it is cheap Asian seafood.

Like a lot of people I do what I can within reason but don't hide in the house or never eat in a restaurant, etc.

I really wasn't nitpicking here. You clearly said that you won't eat anything that you know comes from China. My reference to Asian cooking was with items like Chinese soy sauce and some other common ingredients in mind.

We all make choices. I totally understand that.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

Yes......The Chinese bought out Smithfield, but it is because they liked the American pork so much better, so the pork is American product owned by the Chinese........I don't buy Smithfield due to their cruelty to animals that I know about......Never will again.....NOW...I live in an agricultural part of South GA, that grows all of their products, and sends them to China for processing, and then shipped back to the USA, so in reality, the food is grown in the USA, olives, watermelons, pecans, peanuts, greens, beans, and so on and so on, but sent back to the USA for selling, hence the CAN they are in is from China, but the food grown in the USA........so you are shunning a country for products grown in the USA.....Look for Margaret Holmes products still American grown and American canned......As for many products...pineapple (DOLE no longer US company), coconuts, bananas, mango, and such, are not USA grown, therefore, have to come from other countries......Chilean fruit is some of the best I have ever had......GA now produces more blueberries than peaches, and has become the #1 exporter of such, but you can not buy GA blueberries in GA......They are imported..........{#emotions_dlg.crying} Blame the USA for you having fruits, seafood, and such, from other countries, and the price that is so high......{#emotions_dlg.sneaky}

The strength of the wolf is the pack, and the strength of the pack is the wolf.......
Honored Contributor
On 12/12/2014 chessylady said: Like other things in our country,oversight and inspection is almost nonexistent and it is up to us to protect ourselves. Food from China is not subject to the same standards found in America even though our standards may also be low. If you choose food based on the lowest price, you may be shortchanging your health. Top Ramen noodles are cheap but they have been found to be harmful in several respects. Thanks to the Internet we can research many food stuffs. You can change you and your family's diet for the better.

Yes, and it may get worse, given that some who would actively try to LESSEN regulations on food, air, water, etc, under the guise of protecting profits are ready and waiting to do just that.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Esteemed Contributor
On 12/13/2014 Campion said:

Based on my survey of every store I shop at, it is 95% Chinese garlic. It must be dirt cheap. I hate it.

Campion, Spice World is a California garlic producer. They sell garlic cloves by the bag at BJ's. I buy the 2 pound bags and keep them for a month or two. They don't get moldy like the bags from Christopher Ranch that Costco sells.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Trusted Contributor
On 12/13/2014 Campion said:

Gross! I never knew that most garlic is from China. No wonder our country is going to h*ell in a hand basket.