Honored Contributor

Food Network Star & other cooking shows- my pet peeve

[ Edited ]

The one contestant with the huge hair is making me crazy. I can't imagine why they don't have ladies (or men)with long or big hair wear it tied up or something.  

It just makes me ill to think about their hair in the food &  I know I'm not eating it - it's just the thought - I will change the channel.

Im very OCD about cleanliness & I do judge a restaurant on 1st impressions (even in my own kitchen/house I'm this way).  when I go into a restaurant the first thing I do is look to see if it's clean (can usually tell) and look at the wait staff.  We went to a restaurant last nite - my husband turned to me & said "I know let's go" (he just saw the "look" on my face).  

Is this annoying to anyone else?  I like these shows but really they are related to food and I think there is a certain criteria. 

Trusted Contributor

Re: Food Network Star & other cooking shows- my pet peeve

Our local health Dept would tell both men and women to cover their hair when working around food.   Even the people at the grocery stores and fast food have their hair back and wear hats that are provided.  The last thing I want to see when I am eating is any kind of foreign object in my food.   I tie my long hair up when cooking and baking.  

I guess for TV shows gloves and nets or caps are not required because they are not fashionable.  In the past I seldom missed a cooking show but now I usually charge the channel.  Same old thing just different people and attitudes.

Esteemed Contributor

My 12 year-old granddaughter facetimed me while she was cooking something in her kitchen.  Her hair was hanging down in front of her face.  I told her to stop what she was doing and put her hair in a ponytail....she did, and I continued to watch her make a Mexican salad!

Honored Contributor

Besides the hanging hair, wearing rings when you have your hands in a mixing bowl and double dipping spoons.

Trusted Contributor

@CelticCrafter

Oh, yes!  Rings are just filthy and when I see people on cooking shows with their hands in the bowls mixing & kneading food while wearing their jewelry, it just makes me sick.  And the double dipping of spoons when tasting food – then stirring it or tasting again with that same spoon….Yuck! 

Snarky responders need not reply. Move along and share your views elsewhere.
Honored Contributor

I couldn't agree with you more. I, also, have changed the channel because of this.  Sometimes the women have loooong pony tails, but instead of having it hang behind them, they pull it around to the front so it hangs in the food. It's a total turn-off and if I saw it in a restaurant or other food establishment I wouldn't eat there. When I had long hair I didn't even cook in my own kitchen without tying it back.  

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

The one contestant with the huge hair is making me crazy. I can't imagine why they don't have ladies (or men)with long or big hair wear it tied up or something.  

It just makes me ill to think about their hair in the food &  I know I'm not eating it - it's just the thought - I will change the channel.

Im very OCD about cleanliness & I do judge a restaurant on 1st impressions (even in my own kitchen/house I'm this way).  when I go into a restaurant the first thing I do is look to see if it's clean (can usually tell) and look at the wait staff.  We went to a restaurant last nite - my husband turned to me & said "I know let's go" (he just saw the "look" on my face).  

Is this annoying to anyone else?  I like these shows but really they are related to food and I think there is a certain criteria. 

I love her hair but not in the kitchen.

But Food Network is looking for a STAR.

Honored Contributor

I have gotten into the habit of taking my rings off around the house, mainly so I won't damage them.  But you have a good point, it bugs me to see Paula Deen cooking with those big diamonds on. 

Honored Contributor

@software

this is not to be rude BUT if I can't watch her during the competition to be the "next" food Network star (and I'm sure I'm not alone) what makes them think as a viewer I'd tune into her own show?

(of course, the Food Network used to be my fav channel not anymore where are the cooking shows NOT cooking reality shows)

Honored Contributor

@homedecor1 wrote:

@software

this is not to be rude BUT if I can't watch her during the competition to be the "next" food Network star (and I'm sure I'm not alone) what makes them think as a viewer I'd tune into her own show?

(of course, the Food Network used to be my fav channel not anymore where are the cooking shows NOT cooking reality shows)

It hasn't slowed down Sunny Anderson.

So I guess someone likes it.