Respected Contributor

Seriously, I can bake, decorate and plate a whole lot better than the group they assembled for this show.

Tonight the pies, they looked terrible.  If you can't bake a pie, you shouldn't be on that show. 

Again, I am so disappointed, even "grandma's cookies" were a disaster. 

I wish there was some competition with really skilled people.

Honored Contributor

Re: Food Network Holiday Bakers

I think maybe some of them have a problem with the short amount of time. I did have to laugh when they moaned about not being able to use electrics. I always use a pastry blender or a fork on pie crust. People made them long before there were food processors. I don't care for Nancy Fuller , JMO

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Esteemed Contributor

So many of the cook competition shows are disgraceful. 

Then whenever they have Duff as a judge it brings back just how dirty his bakery and practice was.  The Food Network has just dropped so much.

Honored Contributor

I think they are average bakers, but can't work with constraints.  If you gave them three hours to make cookies, they would be terrific.  

Honored Contributor

I miss when they used to show the Pillsbury Bake Off's each year . . . Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

I am all about using whatever time saving, easy to use appliances when doing any type of cooking or baking. I often wonder why these chefs/ home chefs and all don't use things like pressure cookers or food processors or things that chop food up quickly. It's the 21st century and tech is everywhere including the kitchen. Don't know where I'd be without these things as my hands/fingers are hard pressed  to manage that kind of stuff anymore. I guess you do need to know the skills from the masters but geez, today is so much easier than 50 years ago. It amazes me what these people can do in such a short amount of time. I'd still be standing there just trying to figure out what some of the weird ingredients are.

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

I think maybe some of them have a problem with the short amount of time. I did have to laugh when they moaned about not being able to use electrics. I always use a pastry blender or a fork on pie crust. People made them long before there were food processors. I don't care for Nancy Fuller , JMO

@QVCkitty1

What is it about Nancy Fuller?  She seems very abrasive to me for some reason.  

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@QVCkitty1

What is it about Nancy Fuller?  She seems very abrasive to me for some reason.  

I have tried very hard to enjoy her shows but she is just a no for me aside from her Thanksgiving show over this past weekend (many good recipes and to be honest it was one of the first shows that I actually watched from start to finish).

I am not thrilled that FN is investing so heavily in her in terms of showcasing her on other shows (and again to be honest, I feel the same way about Sunny Anderson).  I think they brought her in as the replacement for Paula Deen but between Ree Drummond and the unfortunately cancelled Damaris Phillips shows I think they had that segment covered . . . Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@QVCkitty1Plus, the more the dough is worked, the more tough the pastry will be!