Honored Contributor

Re: Food Network Cooking Shows - who is their target audience?

[ Edited ]

@terrier3 wrote:

I sold local advertising on the Food Network for almost 20 years.

They have two targets - The first is A 35-64 - affluent homeowners. That has been their target market for many years...and the reason they created a companion magazine (print media skews older).

The second, growing demo is interesting - it's teens and college students under 21 years old - both male and female. Hence all the game shows and shows with kid chefs. It's a big hit on college campuses.

@terrier3  Well how is that all working out for them.....their ratings have been going down the tubes.....and why are they targeting teens & college students---what disposable income does this group have anyway?????  College Students who have to go to McDonalds and SPLIT a hamburger???? And even after they graduate---they will be paying back STUDENT LOANS!!!! It seems their target should be folks settled in their careers or empty nesters....that DO have money to spend!!!!! And if their magazine matches the on air mess why would  one want to even read it!! I always thought the target of the younger demographic angle never made sense for advertisers!!!! the logical progression of this age group is college/student loans, buying new cars, having kids, buying a home = DEBT, DEBT, and more DEBT!!! NO extra money to spend yet the networks and cable providers consider them solid gold!!! 

I found an interesting article that expresses the SAME opinions as most have here---I know I emailed them about that and I guess it was just another deleted email as their ratings continue to tumble!!!

https://www.minnpost.com/minnesota-blog-cabin/2015/02/get-inside-dish-how-did-food-network-go-sour

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@Spurt wrote:

@ncascade wrote:

The easiest way is find out target audience is look at the commercials.

I think FN has become a food game channel.

@Group 5 minus 1  For some reason they have TONS of car commercials which I find very ODD for a FOOD channel---but of course I guess that ties in with all these "chefs" driving to restaurants to taste food---ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

It;s because upper income adults 35-64 buy lots of the new cars sold...

Honored Contributor

@Spurt

Thanks for the link to the article. I haven't had time to read it, but I will later. I also wrote to FN (email) and I got a response back saying that it was the Programming Dept that made the decisions.  Funny, but they didn't send me the email address of the Program Dept. Hmm?

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Nomore

I absolutely love New Scandanavian Cooking Show!  Talk about scenery!  Norway is now on my bucket list of travel places.

I've vacationed in Norway many times.

It is truly heaven on earth...clean, beautiful, healthy people. I just didn't like reindeer meatballs or whale roast...yuck to both!

Honored Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@ncascade wrote:

@Group 5 minus 1  For some reason they have TONS of car commercials which I find very ODD for a FOOD channel---but of course I guess that ties in with all these "chefs" driving to restaurants to taste food---ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

@terrier3  But wouldn't it be better to tie in things to cooking like appliances (big and small) or even food (the canned food companies are advertising on the regular networks) kitchen gadgets (knives and things) .....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@Spurt

Thanks for the link to the article. I haven't had time to read it, but I will later. I also wrote to FN (email) and I got a response back saying that it was the Programming Dept that made the decisions.  Funny, but they didn't send me the email address of the Program Dept. Hmm?

@house_cat  and boy do they make it difficult to even find contact info for them.....Perhaps snail mail is the best way to reach them.....Just another entity that doesn't want to hear from or listen their viewers/customers and it seems these are the ones that end up no longer in business/on air.....

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe

I liked Ellie Krieger also.  That is the way I try to cook.  I would love to see her come back or a show like hers.  

Valued Contributor

The Food Network used to be my "go to" channel but not anymore, not for the past few years.  Used to love to watch Giada but my opinion now is that she got too big for her britches so that was the end of Giada and really, I don't need a peek down her blouse to learn how to make home made ravioli.

I love Ina Garten but would be just as happy if they didn't feature so many of her friends, those parts bore me to tears.  Pioneer Woman is iffy for me, sometimes yes, someimes not so much.  Don't like Bobby Flay, not that into BBQ, but I do sometimes like Throw Down.  Love DDD but hate (with a passion) Guys Grocery Games.   I wil occasionally watch cupcake wars but I'd rather sick pins in my eyes than watch Chopped or any of the other cooking competitions, especially the one with the kids.

I'm a very selective (if not oppionated) viewer. 

Maria

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Spurt wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

@Spurt wrote:

@ncascade wrote:

@terrier3  But wouldn't it be better to tie in things to cooking like appliances (big and small) or even food (the canned food companies are advertising on the regular networks) kitchen gadgets (knives and things) .....

As a television salesperson (now at a network) I know that we pitch everyone and anyone. We try to make a convincing story about why a product will reach it's target audience on our network (or a particulat show).

Advertisers generally will repeat spots where they have found success in the past - and they also like to be where their competitors are too (birds of a feather!)

Also on shows where you can clearly see the label on kitchen appliances - Kitchenaid mixer on Pioneer Lady...Vitamix on Ina, etc. - the manufacturers ARE advertising - they are paying for product placement within the show. That often costs a lot MORE than a :30 commercial!

Esteemed Contributor

I don't care for the cooking competition shows featuring kids.  I like Chopped though, as long as it's adults.

I don't think college kids are really a good target market for some of the food network shows.  They may be foodies (especially recent grads) but they are not really hanging at home watching tv that much.