Honored Contributor

Food Network Cooking Shows - who is their target audience?

I rarely watch FN anymore. I don't enjoy watching those staged shows like Ina Garten, Giada, Valerie, Nancy Fuller, even Pioneer Woman... you name it. Every show has to start out, "I'm giving a party - I'm going to surprise my friend - My BFF is coming for dinner - my nephew is here to help me cook".

It's amazing how the camera crew is in the friends house to capture the moment of "surprise".  It's so phony and really turns me off.

The chefs with talent, like Ina, would be easier to watch if they would just cut the silly stuff.  Some of the others have no special talent and they're just masking that with the drama.

Thank goodness for the Create Network which has actual cooking shows like Lidia, Martha, Jaques Pepin, the Indian chef (don't know her name, but I love her show), Christina Cooks and many others. If you haven't discovered this network, check with your provider - in my case it's hidden at channel 1271 and it's only by accident that I found it.

I know this is a long post, and I apologize, but I'm wondering who FN thinks their target audience is? 

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Food Network Cooking Shows - who is their target audience?

The easiest way is find out target audience is look at the commercials.

I think FN has become a food game channel.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Honored Contributor

That's a good question.  They've been going down hill for the last couple years.  I don't know why they bother having the next food network star shows, then you see little of the winner.  The exception is Guy.  DDD is on for hours, if not more, every day. It gets old watching Guy eat.  Not digging all the competition shows with kids either.  I rarely watch the channel.

Respected Contributor

Evidently we are not their audience.  I haven't bothered with that channel for awhile now.  I barely got back into watching a few shows on HGTV.  They are just as bad.  The comment about the commercials is another hint.  Ridiculous!  A few of those definitely remind me to stay away.  Ugh.  What's worse, we pay premium prices for this junk. 

Honored Contributor

Once in a while, when I'm really desperate for a food show, I'll watch Guy's Grocery Games, but he really turns me off.

I don't understand FN's fascination with hosts traveling around the country stuffing food in their faces.

I used to enjoy Melissa D'Arabian's show - no drama, just cooking.  What happened to it?  

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

When we first got cable back in the day, I was glued to the Food Network.  I still remember the original shows and miss them to this day.

Clearly they are trying to keep up with the times and attract a younger audience.  I do like that they have shows for those that have young families that will give them good ideas in order to prepare a good meal that they can enjoy but I do wonder if they ever had a show that went back to their roots how the ratings would be.  Simple shows that showcase the bare bones or mechanics of cooking for those that truly love being in the kitchen as opposed to just looking for something to put on the table, especially those that are strapped for time.  I know I would love to see some programming along those lines and @house_cat I totally agree with you about the Create channel.  They have some serious cooks that I enjoy watching.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

Once in a while, when I'm really desperate for a food show, I'll watch Guy's Grocery Games, but he really turns me off.

I don't understand FN's fascination with hosts traveling around the country stuffing food in their faces.

I used to enjoy Melissa D'Arabian's show - no drama, just cooking.  What happened to it?  

@house_cat if you get their sister channel The Cooking Channel a lot of reruns from Food Network are there including Melissa's shows.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat if you get their sister channel The Cooking Channel a lot of reruns from Food Network are there including Melissa's shows.

So that's where they went?! I saw this channel on my dad's cable system, but I have basic service and I don't have it :-(  I'm surprised I have the Create Network. I'm waiting for TWC to discover the mistake and yank it from me.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

I sold local advertising on the Food Network for almost 20 years.

They have two targets - The first is A 35-64 - affluent homeowners. That has been their target market for many years...and the reason they created a companion magazine (print media skews older).

The second, growing demo is interesting - it's teens and college students under 21 years old - both male and female. Hence all the game shows and shows with kid chefs. It's a big hit on college campuses.

Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

So that's where they went?! I saw this channel on my dad's cable system, but I have basic service and I don't have it :-(  I'm surprised I have the Create Network. I'm waiting for TWC to discover the mistake and yank it from me.

The Create Channel is owned by Public Broadcasting, which is why they have so many PBS chef shows in their line-up.