Valued Contributor

Re: Food Network Cooking Shows - who is their target audience?

Create channel is what I watch for cooking, too.  You had a post about Annabel L.'s show and I finally got a glimpse of it. I love how she cooks! And the scenery...it takes me away to such a pretty place! Then there is the Irish guy (Kevin Dundee?) I got started watching his holiday show, then I saw his shows about the basics.

I don't know when was the last time I watched FN. I get that Cooking Channel on one tv in the house, don't know why, but I think that is the one that has Moesha, Tiffani, Hayley and other kid stars of the 80's now with their own cooking shows. I do not relate to these at all. They are not chefs and all are like you said about Valerie, Trisha, etc about a staged dinner.

I am definitely not part of the target audience even though my age is within the set.

Honored Contributor

@DiAnne wrote:

I used to love the Food Network and I always had it on but now I never turn it on.  I would enjoy a show with healthier eating on it.  I am trying to work toward clean eating would enjoy food like that.  I wish Melissa would come back with a regular show not $10 meals.  

I wish they would bring back Ellie Krieger.  She made the most amazing, healthy food and none of the ingredients were out of reach for most people plus I love her presenting style.

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe

I'm not familiar with Ellie Krieger - sounds good.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@Nomore

I absolutely love New Scandanavian Cooking Show!  Talk about scenery!  Norway is now on my bucket list of travel places.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

@momtochloe

I'm not familiar with Ellie Krieger - sounds good.

I was so disappointed when they cancelled her show:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/chefs/ellie-krieger.html

Honored Contributor

@momtochloe

Thank you. I just went ahead and LIKED her page on FB so I'll get her postings and recipes :-))

~ house cat ~
Super Contributor

Respected Contributor
house_cat

Food Network Cooking Shows - who is their target audience?

Thank goodness for the Create Network which has actual cooking shows like Lidia, Martha, Jaques Pepin, the Indian chef (don't know her name, but I love her show), Christina Cooks and many others.

I lived the Irish humor and wit !

Last time I saw her was 1 year ago

Plus the geograpghy

http://www.clodaghmckenna.com/home/

Clodagh McKenna is the author of five best-selling cookery books, which include ‘Clodagh’s Irish Kitchen’ and ‘Homemade’. She is a familiar face on TV in Ireland (Fresh from the Farmers’ Market), resident chef on TV3’s Ireland AM and has appeared in the UK on Market Kitchen, Waitrose Kitchen, Channel 4’s Sunday Brunch, BBC’s Saturday Kitchen, Rick Stein’s Food Heroes), and recently made her US television debut with her hits TV series 'Clodagh's Irish Food Trails' and is a regular on the 'Rachael Ray Show', and has cooked on NBC’s Today Show, The Nate Berkus Show, The Late Late Show, Esquire TV and among many more.

Clodagh has been working in food for 16 years. She studied in France and New York and trained and worked at Ballymaloe Cookery School and House in County Cork. She has two restaurants in Dublin and creates the menu with Aer Lingus onboard European and Transatlantic flights. Her food ethos is simple, local, seasonal and wholesome cooking, that can be shared with family and friends. Clodagh has many influences in her cooking, having lived in Italy and France, but the bases of her passion for food is Irish.

Clodagh has been featured in Forbes Magazine, The Wall Street Journal, USA Today, Glamour (US), People Magazine (US), Better Homes and Gardens (US), New York Times, UK Saturday and Sunday Times Newspaper, Red Magazine, to name a few.

"In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends." MLK
Honored Contributor

I'm a 66 year old retired woman, and believe me I'm no ones target audience. However I still

watch Ina and some of the other cooking shows. I don't care much for the competition shows,

but I have watched some of the kids cooking contests, and they are kind of fun. Ons show I

really like on Create is A Chef's Life. It's about a farm to table restaurant in North Carolina.

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@house_cat  To answer your question HOUSE CAT I think their target is people that like to watch RERUNS of DINERS, DRIVE-INS, & DIVES or watch Michael Symon go to restaurants and eat (same concept different chef) ...So I think their target is people that like to watch other people eating-SmileyAnd I HATE HATE HATE the JUVENILE Cut Throat Kitchen! There are no actual "real" cooking shows anymore ---more like reality cooking shows.....I've switched to Create too and enjoy Lidia and some of the others too....

And am I the only one that think the people on the show THE KITCHEN have absolutely NO chemistry together---it seems like they try to top one another......to me that show is very uncomfortable and painful to watch---so I turn the channel.....

.FN is a former shadow of it's self....

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@ncascade wrote:

The easiest way is find out target audience is look at the commercials.

I think FN has become a food game channel.

@Group 5 minus 1  For some reason they have TONS of car commercials which I find very ODD for a FOOD channel---but of course I guess that ties in with all these "chefs" driving to restaurants to taste food---ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”