Highlighted
Respected Contributor

How can a product claiming to have "zero" calories make that claim if it has 5 grams of carbohydrate? One gram of carbohydrate has 4 calories, so that would be 20 calories right there. This particular product also claims to have no effect on blood sugar-it certainly exerted a glucose raising effect on me. The chief ingredient is Erythrotol and "oligosacharides" (my guess is probably chicory root).  I have spent a good part of the day researching this, but I am curious about the zero calorie claim....does anybody know? Thanks,

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

When looking at the serving size for a product I find many are artificially small.  That is done to meet whatever nutritional goal the manufacturer is trying to meet--calories, carbs, fat, etc.

This link may help answer your questions:  http://www.myfooddiary.com/Resources/label_claims.asp

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

I remember something from a long time ago about - if a number is lower than a certain, given, standard, that they can call it zero.   

For instance, maybe if something is 4% fat they could call it 0% fat.

Respected Contributor

CB, the crazy thing there is that good old table sugar has four grams of sugar-and 10 calories.....the label doesn't hide that little factoid.  To be sure, calorimetry is not precise, but in when it comes to evaluating whether or not I can consume something, truth in labeling would help. I do have some "pure" erythrotol, but it is expensive, and since this stuff was much cheaper and made the claims that I had mentioned, I thought I would give it a try. For what it did to my glucose, I might as well have used sucrose! Ahhh CB, I am finding more ways to enjoy coconut in all of it's glory, but Stevia doesn't work for everything.....

Poodlepet2

Esteemed Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

I remember something from a long time ago about - if a number is lower than a certain, given, standard, that they can call it zero.   

For instance, maybe if something is 4% fat they could call it 0% fat.

^^^This!

The same goes for fat, sodium, cholesterol, trans fats, etc.

Get your flu shot...because I didn't.
Honored Contributor

@HonnyBrown I've seen that, too.  I'm thinking the amount is way under 1%, but if the serving size we eat isn't what they are calling a serving size, then we're getting way more of everything.

Honored Contributor

Re: Food Labels: a question

[ Edited ]

I've seen less than one percent and it is shown as -1.

@Poodlepet2, I'd ask the FDA.  They have to pass the standards to put the item on the shelf.