Honored Contributor

Re: Florida - Any rumors about Honeybell oranges?

@decaf wrote:

@homedecor1 wrote:

@decaf 

For years and years we would go there (Cushmans) and buy beautiful fruit or ship directly to friends.

Sadly, Cushman sold out business 10 or so years ago to Harry & David (like Cheryl's, Popcorn Factory,etc).

The honeybells are definitely not the quality or sweetness as they were when FL had groves of citrus NOW replaced with shopping malls, homes and storage facilities ☹️☹️

@sunshine45 

The "honeybells" we get are usually called "tangelos or Cara Cara" oranges and come from California under the brand name "Sunkist".  Our local Publix produce manager told me "honeybells" are non-existent in FL -- in fact, there is no good produce to me here except the strawberries which come in February and grown here.

@homedecor1  I've lived here decades, everything you said is true.  Any good produce we grow is sold for the highest price and shipped out of state and we get all the leftover junk here. 

Besides the change in real estate prices, climate change, hotter temps also ruined the citrus industry here.  Many people don't know citrus fruit is grown and harvested only in the winter months in Florida.  In recent years we don't have enough "cold snaps" which give the fruit it's sweetness.

@decaf 

I have stopped buying any produce from Publix ..it spoils to fast🤬

I bought a few mangos and cut them open...black mush.  Potatoes there are terrible --

I seriously believe they buy in such bulk they store in "freezer" vs. refrigerated section and never buy bagged salad there ..yuck mush after a day.

I buy most the produce I need at local farm store he buys daily at wholesale market in Tampa -- cheaper prices & best fresh produce.

I can't understand why living here there aren't any good produce places & its hard to find - I lived in NJ and am spoiled by great juicy tomatoes, corn and more😉

Trusted Contributor

Re: Florida - Any rumors about Honeybell oranges?

[ Edited ]

@homedecor1   You're so right, Publix in Fl is the absolute worst for produce (I don't love their meat either).

You come from the state with the best  produce.  My brother and SIL lived in NJ until they moved to Fl about 5 years ago.  When I visited them in the summers the fresh vegetables from the produce stand were heaven.  Those beefstake tomatoes and fresh corn were all I wanted for a meal.

I live in Palm Beach County, on the east coast.  I only have one produce stand left near me now, within a mile or two.  A few years back, there were 3 or 4.  They closed, sold the places for the land value.  It's amazing how much this area has changed in just a few years.