Esteemed Contributor

Fish Turner/Spatula Advice and Opinions please

I need a fish spatula but don't know the advantages or disadvantages of a straight edge versus an angled edge.

I'd appreciate some advice, opinions and recommendations please.

The eyes through which you see others may be the same as how they see you.
Honored Contributor

Re: Fish Turner/Spatula Advice and Opinions please

@Marp 

Source: Serious Eats dot com

This site has recommendations for turner/spatulas also. I couldn’t copy and past due to live click links.

Flexibility and Strength

The flipper of a fish spatula should be thin and flexible, so that it slips smoothly under even delicate items and is easy to maneuver around a crowded pan. If it's too stiff, it can be hard to move the short handle (and your knuckles) away from the hot edge of the pan, or to slide the blade under a fillet at an angle that won't disturb its neighbor. Wide slots in the flipper help with flexibility, and also allow oil to drain off quickly. But the spatula shouldn't be too flexible: It still needs to be sturdy enough to lift a big burger or steak without buckling or sagging. The last thing you want is your food sliding off it onto the floor.

Shape

The shape of the spatula is important, and even small differences can make a big impact. The flipper of a good fish spatula should angle upward near the edge, enough that it can squeeze into tight spaces and cradle a piece of food securely. The beveled blade edge should slip easily under fragile fish skin or fluffy pancakes, and it should efficiently scrape every stuck-on bit from the edges of the pan. A flipper without enough curve or enough of a bevel on the end can be difficult to manipulate. Too flat, and foods roll off easily, while your hand is forced too close to the hot pan. Too blunt, and you end up pushing into foods, rather than sliding under them.

The size and shape of the handle are also important. If the handle is too long or too heavy or too chunky, it can give you less control, or, at the very least, be a little more uncomfortable to hold. A good handle is lightweight but balanced, and close enough to the flipper to allow you to work with precision.

Material

Most fish spatulas have stainless steel flippers, but a handful of manufacturers make a nylon version, for use on nonstick pans. I tested one of these, but it confirmed my suspicions: A plastic spatula can't be made thin enough to function well as a fish spatula. It has almost no flexibility, and is too thick to slide under delicate items, like tilapia fillets, without damaging them. For a fish spatula to do what it's supposed to do, it needs to be stainless steel. The corollary, of course, is that metal spatulas are not a good choice for most nonstick cookware, given their propensity to scratch the pan's coating. A plastic spatula is a better bet when cooking with nonstick, and, since a nonstick surface allows food to slide around more easily anyway, the spatula's thicker construction will be less of a problem.

The material of the handle may also matter if you have a dishwasher. Spatulas with wood handles aren't dishwasher-safe, so, if you're averse to the idea of hand-washing anything, go for one with a poly handle. That said, it's pretty quick and painless to hand-wash a spatula, and some may prefer the feel and grip of a wood handle (not to mention the fact that it won't melt if left in contact with the edge of a hot pan).

Respected Contributor

Mine has a wooden handle, 6.5" spatula with the angled "blade". It is so flexible & easy to use for everything.

I love it!

Respected Contributor

OXO Good Grips Flexible Spatula

I like this one from OXO. It comes in a couple of sizes. I bought it for turning fried eggs. It is very thin and flexible.They also have this one.

OXO Good Grips Fish Turner

Respected Contributor

I have 2, one is about 10" long & the other about 13", the brand-name on them is LamsonSharp  & they're made in the USA.  I've had them for about about 20 years or so & I have no idea where I bought them, or if they're still available.  They're both angled & have black phenolic handles & are very flexible.  I bought them for flipping over-easy eggs, never used them for fish.

Esteemed Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

I have 2, one is about 10" long & the other about 13", the brand-name on them is LamsonSharp  & they're made in the USA.  I've had them for about about 20 years or so & I have no idea where I bought them, or if they're still available.  They're both angled & have black phenolic handles & are very flexible.  I bought them for flipping over-easy eggs, never used them for fish.

@aubnwa01, I had never heard of LansonSharp until your post.  Found that they are still in business and have been since 1837.

Is this like the one you have, it is described on Amazon as being 4 x 9?  It is also available in 3 x 6 which might be a better fit for me.

Lamson  Jumbo Chef's Slotted Turner  4" x 9", Stainless Steel with Riveted POM handle, Right-Hand

Respected Contributor

@Marp wrote:

@aubnwa01 wrote:

@aubnwa01, I had never heard of LansonSharp until your post.  Found that they are still in business and have been since 1837.

Is this like the one you have, it is described on Amazon as being 4 x 9?  It is also available in 3 x 6 which might be a better fit for me.

Lamson  Jumbo Chef's Slotted Turner  4" x 9", Stainless Steel with Riveted POM handle, Right-Hand

@Marp  Yes, mine are like that. I was measuring them including the handle.  Those measurements you posted would fit with the ones I have just measuring the length of the turner part.  The larger one is too long for me, too & I've used the smaller one the most.

Honored Contributor

I have a SS one (Chantal) and a nylon one (Oneida.)  Both are angled, which is my preference because I think it gets under the food better.  It is true that the very thin "blade" of the SS is much easier to work with than the nylon one which is obviously thicker.  However, I prefer to use nylon on anything non-stick even if the manufacturer says it's ok to use metal utensils.  However, if the nylon one isn't working the way I want it to, I'll grab the SS one and use it on my non-stick pans.

Esteemed Contributor

Thank you all for your input and an extra thank you to @butterfly123 for the descriptive article.  I especially appreciate the comments about the angled edge.

Based on your input my choice will be stainless with an angled edge.

Again, thank you for your help.