Respected Contributor

Re: Finger food suggestions please!

I always do frozen meatballs in my crock pot with bbq sauce (Sweet Baby Ray!), some catsup & a scoop of grape jelly We love them.

Super Contributor

On 5/24/2014 Hoovermom said:
On 5/24/2014 ennui1 said:

lolakimono likes to make me feel lazy. {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

Chips and salsa. A tray of sandwiches from Costco. A platter of shrimp and cocktail sauce (also Costco).

This is my style also!! We love their pinwheels and their sandwiches (croissant). Costco also has delicious potato salad that you would think I made it LOL. Their artichoke and spinach dip is TDF. Any of Costco's pastries (sheet cake, tuxedo cake) are delicious. I always get compliments on my "parties" and Costco is my caterer of choice.

Yes! Those turkey roll-ups! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup}

For the hostess -- you didn't say if it was high school or college, but your niece is probably going to want to go out with her friends, too. Don't get too involved in the gathering.

Valued Contributor

Don't forget hummus as a dip - makes a nice change from or addition to Ranch or Spinach/Artichoke. You can find it already made, usually in the refrigerated deli section of your grocery store. Even my 20-year-old nephew likes it.

Trusted Contributor

On 5/24/2014 Jules5280 said:

Lola, those pics all look so delicious. I think the "diploma roll ups" are such a cute idea!!! Those would be so easy to make and lots of fillings to choose from. I almost suggested to Isaboo the Mexican Cream Cheese Roll-ups, but she could put anything in a tortilla... turkey or ham, swiss or cheddar or jack cheese... could even get some already made seafood salad to spread in some for variety. Just roll 'em on up and tie a green scallion around them... such a great idea!!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Yes, those are really cute! It doesn't look like it would be too tedious to put together either.

Jules, what are in the Mexican Cream Cheese Roll-ups if you don't mind telling me?

So many good suggestions thank you all!

Trusted Contributor

I saw a recipe on TV, yesterday. You get pitted dates, slice a pocket in them, stuff them with Gorgonzola, (or other soft cheese), wrap with bacon, toothpick it together and grill them. They looked delicious!

Trusted Contributor

On 5/24/2014 Classique said:

If you need refrigerator space and are planning to serve other cold drinks, ie. canned sodas, you can get a Styrofoam ice chest and place pre-chilled (if possible) drinks in it along with ice cubes or other containers that have been pre-filled and frozen with ice. You can use anything like plastic water bottles or jars with lids and then place them on the bottom of the chest and wherever you can fit them in and then just put ice cubes on the upper part if you want to.

The larger containers of ice at the bottom will last longer than ice cubes which usually have to be replenished if your party lasts some time.

The key to a good party is really being able to relax when you are the hostess and enjoy your company which isn't hard to do as long as you've prepared everything you can in advance and keep things simple.

It is nice to have candles in holders on the table along with fresh flowers there or out elsewhere. Carnations are nice for graduations and come in various colors as they can be tinted.

It is very nice of you to offer your home. Congratulations and just act like you are the "hostess with the mostest" and don't worry if all you have is the cake. That is more than enough and what we had. Then after the reception at home, we and our dates left to attend a dinner dance that was at a very nice country club sponsored by our school.

Most schools sponser some sort of "grad night" and I remember a cousin whose was at Disneyland. Her parents had a reception at their home after the graduation and then she left and took a short train ride to Disneyland with her class for the all-night party.

The only reason I can think of for you to have anything more elaborate than cake and coffee, tea and perhaps punch or soft drinks would be if your party was planned to last several hours or more and people would be there during lunchtime or dinnertime.

Great idea regarding the drinks, candles and flowers! Thanks too for reminding me to relax I tend to stress over doing things like this as much as I enjoy doing it I guess I don't do it often enough to stay in practice.

Trusted Contributor

On 5/24/2014 Dusty1 said:

I always do frozen meatballs in my crock pot with bbq sauce (Sweet Baby Ray!), some catsup & a scoop of grape jelly We love them.

That sound good and easy!

Trusted Contributor

On 5/24/2014 ennui1 said:

lolakimono likes to make me feel lazy.

Chips and salsa. A tray of sandwiches from Costco. A platter of shrimp and cocktail sauce (also Costco).

I wish we had a Costco's! We have Sam's and I don't think I've seen anything like that there.

Respected Contributor

You ladies always have such good ideas. I needed ideas and got them here too.

Love it when you post pics!

Super Contributor

On 5/25/2014 isaboo said:
On 5/24/2014 Jules5280 said:

Lola, those pics all look so delicious. I think the "diploma roll ups" are such a cute idea!!! Those would be so easy to make and lots of fillings to choose from. I almost suggested to Isaboo the Mexican Cream Cheese Roll-ups, but she could put anything in a tortilla... turkey or ham, swiss or cheddar or jack cheese... could even get some already made seafood salad to spread in some for variety. Just roll 'em on up and tie a green scallion around them... such a great idea!!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

Yes, those are really cute! It doesn't look like it would be too tedious to put together either.

Jules, what are in the Mexican Cream Cheese Roll-ups if you don't mind telling me?

So many good suggestions thank you all!

Good morning Isaboo! Smile Of course I will gladly share the recipe with you. They are sooooo easy to make and tasty, and there are many different versions so you could certainly add or omit ingredients depending on what people like, but here is the one I use.

Mexican Cream Cheese Roll-ups:

1 (8 oz.) pkg of cream cheese, softened

1/3 cup of Mayo

2/3 cup of pitted green olives, chopped (I use the green olives that are stuffed with pimentos for the extra flavor)

1 small can (2.25oz) of black olives, chopped

1 small can of chopped green chiles, drained (optional) **

6 green onions chopped (use both white and green part)

8 flour tortillas (10 inch size)

1/2 cup of salsa

Directions:

In a bowl, mix together cream cheese, mayo, olives, chiles, and green onions. Spread cream cheese mixture on each tortilla, roll up. Chill in refrigerator for at least 1 hour or until cream cheese filling is firm. Slice roll-ups into 1 inch pieces. Serve with salsa for dipping.

** Note: If you like things a little bit more spicy, instead of using the can of green chiles you can chop up a small jalapeno pepper, or even a serrano pepper (don't use the seeds) but you better be sure your guests like it hot! {#emotions_dlg.laugh} Also, the can of green chiles can be left out completely, but it does add a nice little kick that isn't too much.

Hope you find some recipes that won't take you too much time or stress you out. Again, congrats to your niece on her graduation, and I'm sure you will be the Hostess with the mostest!!! {#emotions_dlg.thumbup1}

ETA: Oops forgot to say that this serves 8-10 people... so depending on the number of guests, might need to double the recipe, etc.

To make the "Diploma" look, instead of cutting them into 1 inch pieces, I would perhaps cut each tortilla in half, then tie a piece of scallion around it. It won't serve as many people but it would be a cute idea.