Super Contributor

Re: Find out the Grade of your favorite packaged food by Brand Name!

On 10/11/2014 Lucky Charm said:
On 10/11/2014 ical said:
On 10/11/2014 brewhaha said:

I already know it's going to be an "F".

Some of the F's are sort of borderline fundamentalist thinking. For example, I would have no problem drinking this, and I do occasionally, but it got an F!!!

http://www.foodfacts.com/ci/nutritionfacts/mixed-vegetable-juice/v8-v-fusion-acai-mixed-berry-100-j...

I was shocked to find out that V-8 juice has *natural flavorings* that are meat derived.

Not to worry, as a vegetarian, I have no need to drink it!

It is pretty far removed, however, if it is used for fruit/veggie juice, so I don't have a major problem with flavoring since the "meat" flavoring usually applies to hearty flavored foods, such as soups or meat products and such. Unless there's a sugar bull or a candy cow, then I don't think they're using meat to flavor such a sweet drink as V-I V-Fusion. But gelatin? Now that's another thing altogether. Just watch a youtube on how they make it and you'll never eat a marshmallow again! Uhhh….yuck.

Honored Contributor

On 10/11/2014 ical said:
On 10/11/2014 ical said:
On 10/11/2014 brewhaha said:

I already know it's going to be an "F".

Some of the F's are sort of borderline fundamentalist thinking. For example, I would have no problem drinking this, and I do occasionally, but it got an F!!!

http://www.foodfacts.com/ci/nutritionfacts/mixed-vegetable-juice/v8-v-fusion-acai-mixed-berry-100-j...

I was shocked to find out that V-8 juice has *natural flavorings* that are meat derived.

Not to worry, as a vegetarian, I have no need to drink it!

It is pretty far removed, however, if it is used for fruit/veggie juice, so I don't have a major problem with flavoring since the "meat" flavoring usually applies to hearty flavored foods, such as soups or meat products and such. Unless there's a sugar bull or a candy cow, then I don't think they're using meat to flavor such a sweet drink as V-I V-Fusion. But gelatin? Now that's another thing altogether. Just watch a youtube on how they make it and you'll never eat a marshmallow again! Uhhh….yuck.

Marshmallows, jello, candy corn, some jelly beans, Necco wafers, etc. There's so many things I don't eat because of 'gelatin'.!! It can be a good thing!

Respected Contributor

Gelatin is nothing different than homemade stock without all the water. Anyone who makes stock and cracks the bones is eating gelatin. And we all know the best pie crusts are made with lard.

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Frequent Contributor

Try www.foodbabe.com. She gives good info and is working hard in finding what's in our food. It's disgusting what some food companies are doing to our food. You don't want to know where some of the vanilla flavoring comes from when it says ""natural"" flavoring. YUK!

Hard to know what to eat anymore. I guess we can just eat or drink if it's something we really enjoy and not think about it. How about restaurant kitchens? Better not go there. Nuf said already. LOL

Frequent Contributor

Thanks ical for this info. Will have to check them out. Appreciate the info very much. You might try www.foodbabe.com too.

Honored Contributor

On 10/12/2014 GrannyDea said:

Thanks ical for this info. Will have to check them out. Appreciate the info very much. You might try www.foodbabe.com too.

Love Vani! Can you tell by my posts on this thread alone??

Regular Contributor

I'm so TICKED because a product that I've been buying for a LONG time is mislabeled as *NO GMO*.

However, Consumer Reports tested XOCHITL Totopas de Maiz (tortilla chips) and found them to contain more than 75% GMO corn in them.

I should've questioned why the package was marked *NO GMO* instead of PROPER ENGLISH *NON GMO* or *NO GMOs*.

Yes, I'm sending out emails to company headquarters. It will be in ALL caps.

Thanks for this info Lucky Charm, I did not know this!

Here is the list of the Consumers Report list I just found....

http://www.greenerchoices.org/pdf/CR_FSASC_GMO_Corn_and_Soy_Test_Results_Table_10062014.pdf