Frequent Contributor

Fiesta salt and pepper set question

I just received the Fiesta small s&p shaker set (the one that looks like doorknobs). I don’t know which is salt and which is pepper. One has six holes and the other has seven, they appear to be the same sized holes. I’ve already filled them and I think I’ve goofed. Just wanted to see if anyone knew. Thanks!
Respected Contributor

Re: Fiesta salt and pepper set question

I put salt in the shaker with less holes, since it comes out more freely than pepper. Apparently, I have been doing it correctly, but that is up to interpretation.

72BA1464-A6F0-48BA-A20F-35A12EB5471B.jpeg

Frequent Contributor

Thank you! I had searched and not found anything definitive and I guess there’s not a really definitive answer then.

I did the salt with the most holes. But it did cross my mind the salt was smaller grained than the pepper.
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@YellowLabMom   Interesting question.  I've always put pepper in the holder with more openings and salt  in the one with fewer.

My theory is that it is too easy to over salt something.  I used to always want a table set that matched my dishes or a theme--holiday, seasonal, etc.

Usually my table salt shaker sits unused since I very rarely need to add any salt to my finished meal.

And these days I'm more likely to use my Peugeot salt and pepper grinders when cooking and at tableside.

They are made with quality in mind and might be something of mine my children would like to have when I'm gone.  Went through a lot of other brands/sets that were inferior before discovering and purchasing this set.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Regular Contributor

I also have these shakers and initially put the salt in the one with fewer holes.  Everyone in my family informed me that I did it wrong.  So, when it was empty I filled it with pepper and the one with more holes with salt.

I plan on showing these comments to them so I may feel vindicated.  HaHa!

Trusted Contributor

@FLtricia  you tell them! Lol

My two cents worth to add to your column, salt in the shaker with less holes.