Frequent Contributor

Re: Feb. 4 Today is HOMEMADE SOUP DAY What is your favorite?? Please post it

On 2/4/2015 Chi-town girl said:

This is the most delicious tomato soup with no heavy cream! Serve it with grilled cheese sandwiches-yummy!!!

The Martha Stewart Show, January Winter 2008

http://www.marthastewart.com/315123/tomato-soup

Yield Makes 6 cups
Tomato Soup
Ingredients:
  • 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 24 ounces canned whole plum tomatoes
  • 3 cups homemade or low-sodium store-bought chicken stock
  • 2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Directions:
  1. Melt butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until onions have softened, about 15 minutes.
  2. Add tomatoes, chicken stock, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook until tomatoes, onions, and garlic are soft, 10 to 20 minutes.
  3. Working in batches, transfer soup to the jar of a blender and puree until smooth. Return to saucepan and place over medium heat. Cook until soup is heated through. If soup seems too thick, stir in some extra stock to thin. Serve immediately.

Chi-town, thank you for this recipe. I have some roma tomatoes that I wanted to use up and just read that a 28oz can is about 2lbs fresh tomatoes. So I can adjust the recipe accordingly. Thanks again!

Contributor

My favorite is plain old fashioned potato soup with bacon and ham.

Super Contributor

Check out the Skinnytaste.com website. She has some great soup recipes and other recipes because they are easy to make and not time consuming. I made her lentil and chicken soup, stuffed pepper soup , lasagna soup and the chicken and barley soup. I will make them all again because they are good. Also made her pulled porked in the slow cooker.