Honored Contributor

Favorite or recommended set of tongs?

I have an old set of tongs that have never really done me much good in the kitchen.  I don't know why I haven't replaced them already.

I thought I might as well ask all you kitchen experts what are your favorite or recommended tongs.

Mine look like this (and they happen to sell for $9.00 at Williams-Sonoma).  I wouldn't buy another pair like these, however.  (Although mine wobble and the W-S ones probably don't.)

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Honored Contributor

Re: Favorite or recommended set of tongs?

I love the OXO tongs - they come in various lengths - w and w/o nylon tips.

you can store them in the locked position - love OXO products

Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 10.31.02 PM.png

Honored Contributor

@Yahooey wrote:

I love the OXO tongs - they come in various lengths - w and w/o nylon tips.

you can store them in the locked position - love OXO products

Screen Shot 2018-05-12 at 10.31.02 PM.png

I use the same. Love them.

Valued Contributor

Progressive Prepworks Set of 2 Locking Tongs

514-764  from HSN

Tongs.JPG
Honored Contributor

I'd recommend heading to a variety of stores and trying out the tongs until you find one that feels natural in your hands. A good pair of tongs should feel like an extension of your hand. You should be able to feel the food through the tongs. They shouldn't be too stiff or too loose. You should be able to easily pick up anything with them from a piece of paper to a bottle of olive oil. I like my plain old all stainless steel tongt I bought at a kitchen supply store many years ago. They are just like an extension of my arm. I can press on a piece of meat and feel how firm it is, just as if I was using a finger. Tongs come in all kinds of lengths also and you'll quickly learn which length you prefer. They are typically the tool I use the most, so taking time to find the right tongs for you by trying out lots of them in multiple stores will lead you to your ideal tongs.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Esteemed Contributor

I have a set of two  with silicon handle grips and tong grips. They are the best ones that I have ever found. i purchased them years ago on QVC. They are the prepology brand. I think Kuhn Rikon might make some. They work great and you put them in the dishwasher.