Respected Contributor

FRESH CRANBERRIES, FINALLY FOUND SOME....

I was @Trader Joe's today in the fresh produce department, and saw the cranberries that I have not been able to find for months. I purchased 6 packages and froze them all. I like to make cranberry sauce all year long. It really is delicious with chicken and other dishes.

I also bought a few cans of pumpkin that is only available near the holidays.

Just thought all you early birds might like to know.

Honored Contributor

Re: FRESH CRANBERRIES, FINALLY FOUND SOME....

@Flatbush   the new crop comes in right about now- just in time for my house where I am using the last of the sauce I made from my freezer stash

In years past, I waited for a sale to buy extras, but I am going to buy some of my next stash immediately--  just in case

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, the cranberries! I bought mine last week @ Wegmans.

I'm making cranberry Christmas cake this weekend with mine. (If anyone wants the recipe--so easy--I'll be happy to re-post.)

They also have pomegranate seeds in! Yay!

Honored Contributor

I saw them this week but can't remember if it was Lidl or Aldi that had them.

Trusted Contributor

@Harpa wrote:

Yes, the cranberries! I bought mine last week @ Wegmans.

I'm making cranberry Christmas cake this weekend with mine. (If anyone wants the recipe--so easy--I'll be happy to re-post.)

They also have pomegranate seeds in! Yay!

I would love the recipe, it sounds delicious

Esteemed Contributor

@Miss Pepsi 

Cranberry Christmas Cake
Yield: 16 servings

3 eggs
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
12 oz fresh cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. With a mixer, beat the eggs with the sugar until slightly thickened and light in color, about 5-7 minutes. The mixture should almost double in size. The eggs work as your leavening agent in this recipe, so do not skip this step. This mixture should form a ribbon when you lift the beaters out of the bowl.

Add the butter and vanilla; mix two more minutes. Stir in the flour until just combined. Add the cranberries and stir to mix throughout.

Spread in a buttered 9x13 pan. Bake for 40-50 minutes, or until very lightly browned and a toothpick inserted near the center of the cake comes out clean. Let cool completely before cutting into small slices. Cut into fairly small pieces, about 1"x2", so that they could be easily eaten at a party. Enjoy!

I use a 9x9" pan, and pretty much the entire bag of crans. Also, I always cut the sugar in baking. For this one, cut about 1/2 cup.

Regular Contributor

I would like the cranberry cake recipe.

Trusted Contributor

I also bought cranberries last week. I just made some cranberry relish this morning.

Honored Contributor

Thank you for the reminder.  Wegmans has fresh cranberries (Ocean Spray) at $3.99 for 32 oz. (2 lbs.).

Trusted Contributor

@Harpa Thank you for the recipe!

I love cranberry orange bread or muffins.  I'm usually lazy and buy the Kruteaz mix and add in fresh grated orange zest and cranberries.