Honored Contributor

Re: FOOD SHOWN IN ON-AIR PRESENTATIONS

@Kachina624 wrote:

They can't give it away because it's not cooked according to health department standards.  It also sits under hot lights for hours which can contaminated many foods.  What's not eaten by the employees is destroyed.  I can just see "those in need" suing QVC because the food made them sick.  That's the way things are nowadays.

A gratuitous slam at those who are in need, a phrase around which I won't put sarcastic quotes.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

They can't give it away because it's not cooked according to health department standards.  It also sits under hot lights for hours which can contaminated many foods.  What's not eaten by the employees is destroyed.  I can just see "those in need" suing QVC because the food made them sick.  That's the way things are nowadays.

A gratuitous slam at those who are in need, a phrase around which I won't put sarcastic quotes.

Hardly, and of course you wouldn't. LOL!

Honored Contributor

@italia8140 wrote:

@suzyQ3 wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Hardly, and of course you wouldn't. LOL!

I wouldn't what? I don't understand your post. Can you explain, please?

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

I have reached the point where I no longer watch food shows ... so much waste ... I have seen the demos of food choppers where the food chopped is pushed directly off the table into a garbage can ... and with a demo almost every hour if it is a TSV, that makes for a lot of waste ...

And I could never understand why there is a full table of prepared foods to sell a cookbook ...

Don't know why these things bother me, but they do ......

~~ Good enough is good enough ~~
Esteemed Contributor

I remember years ago...and I have posted this before....Bob Bowersox got very very ill with food poisoning from eating some of that food  when he was the man in the kitchen...he was gone for a long time....

As another poster said much of the food is unedible because it sits out too long....and they have to show the food so consumers see what it looks like....or in the case of a cookbook....to see the recipes they can make...

I worked as a cashier and the market was not allowed to donate the day old items to food banks for reasons given....

Honored Contributor

@Sooner wrote:

MA:NY reasons most of this food is not consumed:  First, it is simply a demonstration item and is a deductible and expense for doing the business that generates MILLIONS of dollars.  The cost of this food isn't a drop in the bucket to many other production expenses to demonstrate it to you by television.

Secondly, it is coated with oils and sometimes varnish to make it shine.  Many tricks are used on photographed food to make them appealingto the eye and enhance their appearance.  Lettuce is sometimes colored, and tomatoes, etc.  It is a painting in essence, rather than a buffet.

People are working, rushing to get things done, and most is simply dumped in the trash as it is not connsumable, and folks are at work and busiy. 

Believe me, I've been around this, employees aren't standing around snacking, or bagging up stuff to take home.  It is a time pressed business and they are working.

@Sooner  I remember a food contest (don't remember the cable channel) that dealt with "food styling" and the tricks they used to make food look better in commercials and magazine photos---like adding shaving cream to mashed potatoes to make them fluffier and such....pretty interesting.......

http://mentalfloss.com/article/30195/11-ways-advertisers-make-food-look-delicious

Animals are reliable, full of love, true in their affections, grateful. Difficult standards for people to live up to.”