Occasional Contributor

FOOD SHOWN IN ON-AIR PRESENTATIONS

Has anyone else wondered what happens to all the "extra" food after the on-air presentations are complete?

Not to get on a "soap box" but with so many starving people..not only in the World but right in our hometowns..it would be a shame if all this extra food was just dumped in the trash..

Does anyone know if it is donated to food pantrys or given to shelters to help feed those in need?

I watch all these food presentations and there is always so much food shown and what a shame it would be if it is tossed in the trash after the shows...

HOPEFULLY this post might bring this to the attention of "those in charge"
and QVC could help provide food/dinners for those in need in their area..

Just a question...thought and suggestion..

“What we once enjoyed and deeply loved we can never lose, For all that we love deeply becomes a part of us.”
Respected Contributor

Re: FOOD SHOWN IN ON-AIR PRESENTATIONS

No, I never wonder.  I do wonder though how many times this question has been posted.

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Occasional Contributor

Well I'm a "newbie" when it comes to "posting" so I have NO CLUE if and how many times this question has been asked and/or ever answered..

I just know that...while watching In The Kitchen With David and saw all the EXCESS food it made me think about this situation..

“What we once enjoyed and deeply loved we can never lose, For all that we love deeply becomes a part of us.”
Occasional Contributor

They have stated many times that the crew eats it and if there's enough left, the crew gets to take some home.

Honored Contributor

The assumption has been whatever food is still good to eat is shared with the employees.  Food kitchens and such have a lot of restrictions on what they'll take.

Honored Contributor

They can't give it away because it's not cooked according to health department standards.  It also sits under hot lights for hours which can contaminated many foods.  What's not eaten by the employees is destroyed.  I can just see "those in need" suing QVC because the food made them sick.  That's the way things are nowadays.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Trusted Contributor

@GCR18 wrote:

The assumption has been whatever food is still good to eat is shared with the employees.  Food kitchens and such have a lot of restrictions on what they'll take.

This was my understanding.

Honored Contributor

I once asked Mary Beth Roe that on line.  Her response was that they are very careful to know what to pick up to taste.  

She said much of it has been sitting under the hot lamps and isn't worth eating.

She said if it is worth eating the crew eats it, but it isn't as much food as people think.

That was probably 4 or so years ago.

Respected Contributor

Mary, David's sidekick, stated tonight that the stage crew were lining up for their share of the meatballs that they were showing.  She said "you can be sure that no food goes to waste around here." 

"Never water yourself down just because someone can't handle you 100% proof."
Honored Contributor

MA:NY reasons most of this food is not consumed:  First, it is simply a demonstration item and is a deductible and expense for doing the business that generates MILLIONS of dollars.  The cost of this food isn't a drop in the bucket to many other production expenses to demonstrate it to you by television.

Secondly, it is coated with oils and sometimes varnish to make it shine.  Many tricks are used on photographed food to make them appealingto the eye and enhance their appearance.  Lettuce is sometimes colored, and tomatoes, etc.  It is a painting in essence, rather than a buffet.

People are working, rushing to get things done, and most is simply dumped in the trash as it is not connsumable, and folks are at work and busiy. 

Believe me, I've been around this, employees aren't standing around snacking, or bagging up stuff to take home.  It is a time pressed business and they are working.