Honored Contributor

FIRST RECIPE FOR A PRESSURE COOKER NEWBIE TO TRY.................

[ Edited ]

I got my chef ming pressure cooker today................What would you very smart ladies out there recommend a newbie who has NEVER used a pressure cooker start with...........................I can't wait to let the pressure out!

CATS ARE HEAVEN SENT
Trusted Contributor

Re: FIRST RECIPE FOR A PRESSURE COOKER NEWBIE TO TRY.................

Rice is a good first try. Read the instructions and have fun!

Valued Contributor

Chili.Use chicken, beef, veggies.Add diced tomatoes from bpa free organic can, add organic canned beans, peppers and spices.Just dump it all in and relax. So easy. I use my slow cooker to make meals in bulk to freeze.IMG_0456.JPG.jpeg

Honored Contributor

hard boiled eggs

my first outing, was a chicken soup, using the rotisserie chicken carcass and some vegetables.   I had soup in under an hour, I was thrilled, 

Honored Contributor

@catlover I know this is going to sound not very organized but I was most interested in finding a method that could cook meat quickly and make it tender so my first voyage was a small cut of beef which I browned with some onion, dumped a can of tomato sauce in there with a touch of broth and spices and let 'er rip . . . it came out great and I have never looked back.

If you are uncertain about trying this out please check out the videos on YouTube as they are very helpful and will give you a great idea as in tips and tricks.

I cook for just myself so it can be a challenge as it always involves math as I have to pare recipes down but for me a pressure cooker is the great equalizer! . . . Smiley Happy

Frequent Contributor

Steamed eggs. About 2 cups water in bottom, eggs on trivet or in steamer bowl. 6 minutes on high...the eggs practically peel themselves.

Meals, either whole chicken n veggies or make it easy. Go to Aldi when they have the roast kits on sale. Easy and delish!

Esteemed Contributor

Interesting thread.  I have used a pressure cooker for 50+  years and I have never made rice, chili or boiled eggs!

I use mine for meats more than anything else.  Love the beef stew 'cause the meat gets tender quickly.  Roasts are wonderful.   

I saw Trisha cook a pot full of whole potatoes in less than 30 minutes for a potato salad.  Never need that much but I was impressed!

Enjoy your pressure cooker.

Honored Contributor

@Shopster3 wrote:

Steamed eggs. About 2 cups water in bottom, eggs on trivet or in steamer bowl. 6 minutes on high...the eggs practically peel themselves.

Meals, either whole chicken n veggies or make it easy. Go to Aldi when they have the roast kits on sale. Easy and delish!

@Shopster3 I love Aldi's and would love to try one of their roast kits in the pressure cooker.  Are there any tips or techniques you could share?

Frequent Contributor

It's been awhile, it was the first thing I made in my pressure cooker.

I believe I put about 2 cups of water, added all the ingredients (beef, potatoes, carrots, celery) seasoned with salt n pepper and put it on 20-30 minutes.

Check your manual for times. 

When done you can thicken up the gravy with flour n water blend.

Hope this helps and I hope you enjoy your pressure cooker as much as I love mine.

Respected Contributor

Whatever you decide on, @catlover , it'll be soooo delicious!

Since you don't give any clues as to what you like, I always recommend Chicken Soup as it's surprising the difference in a PC.  I recommended a recipe in your original thread when you purchased yours.

If you want easy-peasy, but still delicious:

14-Minute Pasta Meal

2 cups liquid  (chicken or beef stock, wine, or water)

1 jar (26 oz.) favorite pasta sauce

1 lb. frozen ground meat (beef, turkey, or chicken)

1 1/2 cups uncooked penne pasta

1/4 cup shredded parmesan and mozzarella cheese

2 teaspoons fresh herbs (oregano, basil, parsley)

crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

Add everything (except optional red pepper flakes) to pot ...stir and cover.

Select STEW function, set timer for 14 minutes.  When time is up, release pressure by flipping the pressure release valve with a long utensil.  After pressure is released and the lid allows, remove lid.  Always tip lid away from you when opening lid, especially when using quick release method.

Use a large spoon to break up the meat and continue stirring pasta mixture to distribute all ingredients.  Top with crushed red pepper flakes, if desired.  HTH'sWoman Happy

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?