Respected Contributor

Re: Expired spices - what a huge waste of money.

Trust your nose, spices don't go rancid like oils, they just fade.  I never throw spices away.  A huge waste of money is the $300/month I spend for cable.  I plan to fix that.

Honored Contributor

Mine are kept wayyyyyyyy past expiration date.  Like @Desertdi as long as no creepy crawlies inside they are used.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Queen of shop 

Thank you for the info. I will certainly look for those. My income is about to drop drastically, so I'm going to need to adjust some of my habits.

Thanks to all the posters for some good tips.  I've been in this house 14 years, which is the longest I've been in a house, so I guess I usually purge things sooner and never really thought much about the waste.

I need to scroll back and see which poster mentioned the cookbook group.  I need to find myself one of those, or maybe start one myself. I've never heard of that and it sounds like a great way to make friends.  

It was @beach-mom 

~ house cat ~
Esteemed Contributor

I am one of those people who go through the spice rack every few months.  I don't keep any of them past the expiration date, yuck.   Those little creepy crawlies that develop are sometimes not easy to see.  I would never risk it.  JMO, but I don't mind spending a couple extra bucks to always use fresher spices.

Honored Contributor

I tend to go through mine rather quickly and seldom have to throw them away.  If they are past their expiration date, I do  chuck them.  It's worth it to me to always have the freshest ingredients.

Valued Contributor

I have seen spices in small bags. I think Badia is one company that does it and I've seen others.  

Honored Contributor

I just redid (pandemic hobbies) our spice storage. I copied Aarti Sequeira on Instagram and ordered a bunch of 4oz mason jars with lids and transferred everything we use regularly, and labeled each. A lot got tossed. I prefer to use fresh but sometimes dried is fine or better. Hopefully the mason jars will keep things fresher longer.

Honored Contributor

My spices are great!  Unless they are regularly used I keep them in a freezer.

Trusted Contributor

I bought the Dean and DeLuca large size spice rack with spices as a gift for someone.  Right before I was to give it to her she told me her live-in boyfriend only buys a certain brand of spices - he won't cook with any other brand.  So of course she won't cook with any other brand.  That spice rack has been in my kitchen ever since, and I bet I've used it six times, if that.  But it was about $200 and I'll be darned if I am going to throw it out,

Respected Contributor

I'm so lucky to live close to a spice shop. I can purchase as little or as much as I want. No waste. Always fresh.