Honored Contributor

Expired spices - what a huge waste of money.

IMG_3263.JPG

I went through my spice drawer in preparation for a move and trashed all the spices that were out of date.  Most of them were nearly full.  What a huge waste of money.  Do you bother to buy a spice if you might only use it once or twice?  I might have to consider that next time I try a new recipe.

~ house cat ~
Honored Contributor

Re: Expired spices - what a huge waste of money.

Unless they have bugs, I keep them

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Esteemed Contributor

Many sunsets ago, I learned from Food Network that you can "extend" the life of SOME old spices by simply heating them in a pan on low heat right before using. I was indeed skeptical, but it works! You can also rub dried herbs such as rosemary, thyme, etc in the palm of your hand and awaken" them right before using them.😊

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

@house_cat I went thru that recently.  I now only buy the small jars and find they are still a waste.  Too bad they didn't sell them in small plastic bags.  

Trusted Contributor

Hi @house_cat  what I have been doing for years now is buying the shortie bottles of McCormick spices. They work well when all you need is small amounts for say, Christmas cookies. HTH

Honored Contributor

I limit how many different spices I buy but I am a simple cook.

Esteemed Contributor

@house_cat wrote:

IMG_3263.JPG

I went through my spice drawer in preparation for a move and trashed all the spices that were out of date.  Most of them were nearly full.  What a huge waste of money.  Do you bother to buy a spice if you might only use it once or twice?  I might have to consider that next time I try a new recipe.

@house_cat   I try to limit what I buy but I started putting my spices in lock and lock.  They stay fresh much longer then in the original containers.  I go by the smell.  If they still smell good they will work.  If I have a recipe that calls for something odd and calls for very little of it, I just leave it out.   

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Queen of shop 

I'm not sure I've ever seen those shortie bottles. I'll have to investigate when I repurchase.

@BalletBabe 

I think I might start to do the same. I'm not an adventurous cook. I mostly stick to familiar flavors, but every now and then I'm tempted to try something new and it adds up.  I'm embarrassed to say that most of those I threw away had expired two or three years ago.  A couple of them in 2005!

~ house cat ~
Trusted Contributor

@house_cat  Oh you'll just love the McCormick shorties. Go into Amazaon and type in the search bar "McCormick 0.05 spices". There is a nice selection. Of course, for the everyday spices like salt, pepper and granulated  garlic, I buy much larger.

Might be the way to go when you are settled in your new digs.Woman Wink

Honored Contributor

I too limit my spices, and buy the smallest containers I can find of most of them.  

I never buy a spice just for a new recipe.