Respected Contributor

Re: Every time I see this ad, I think about

It isn't just kitchenware items that people take credit for, look at the clothing lines. Those  designers take credit for something if they just move a button on something that was popular 50 years ago.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

You'll have no trouble replacing it. That old time corning ware is every where.

flea shows, garage sales, any of those places come summer, we women go to.   I've seen it for quarter, 50 cents, etc. I still got 2 small containers of it LOL and I always have the latest and greatest.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'm a huge fan of my Corningware.

I have a variety of perfect pieces, large & small.

I don't look negatively at Temptations, but when I even consider ordering, I think about my beautiful, functional Corningware and I just skip it.

I do find a lot of Corningware in the secondary market but much of it is not in excellent condition.    All of my old pieces look brand new.    When I wash my pieces, I soak them for a short time in a sink of Dawn & hot water, then sprinkle it all over with baking soda and it gets a light scrub.

I'd also like to add that pieces on the secondary market are often missing parts, like lids and handles.   If you find pristine pieces with all the parts, they are a gem!

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 wrote:

I was taking my 3 qt Corningware casserole that I've had for years, out of the oven this week when it slipped out of my hands and went crashing on the floor.  Not only did I regret the big mess (tuna casserole) but I'm going to miss that dish.  It was the harvest pattern.

@Kachina624 

That's my favorite pattern. I have 2 casserole dishes that I use quite often along with dinner settings for 12 including reversible place mats. The place mats have the pattern all around the edge on one side and the other side is plain, the sort of very light caramel color with just a blue line and a maroon line around the edge. Have the creamer & sugar bowl & gravy boat as well. I use this set as my "company is coming" dinnerware.

My everyday dinnerware is also corning. A different pattern that I've had for years. I remember when I bought it I bought an extra box to replace anything I broke. That box is up in my attic still unopened. Been there for years & years. I don't remember the pattern name but around the edges is pink heart with a green leaf on each side and a blue diamond next to the leaves. Still love that one as well. Also have a couple of the Cornflower casseroles. LOVE Corning.

Honored Contributor

I still have my original corning ware too, but the glass lids don't stay on with a good enough seal to store for very long in the fridge.  I bake and serve in it but transfer to L&L for storage.

I don't think Tara or any host is trying to claim they invented the saying,  idea or concept.  I have never heard either make statements to that fact.

She just says it cuz she thinks it applied to her line.  Nothing wrong with that.

Honored Contributor

My corningware and corelle is over 40 years old.I upgraded my Corelli to a newer pattern  and gave my son my old set ...ten years later he is still using it and no plans to replace.

Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

I was taking my 3 qt Corningware casserole that I've had for years, out of the oven this week when it slipped out of my hands and went crashing on the floor.  Not only did I regret the big mess (tuna casserole) but I'm going to miss that dish.  It was the harvest pattern.

@Kachina624 Try Replacements dot com.  If they don't have it (rare) they'll notify you when they get it.Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

I have a 5 qt casserole that I used for years and it was great when the kids were home.   Now that I am getting "older", I find it is way to heavy when it has food in it. It is still in my kitchen.  Last year I found an 2 or 2.5 qt. oval casserole (Corning Ware) with the glass lid at the flea market for a reasonable price.  The next week end I found an identical one with a sealable lid for the same price so I bought it.   They are much easier to handle than the 5 qt. and I use the smaller ones a lot.

Honored Contributor

@RespectLife wrote:

I still have my original corning ware too, but the glass lids don't stay on with a good enough seal to store for very long in the fridge.  I bake and serve in it but transfer to L&L for storage.

I don't think Tara or any host is trying to claim they invented the saying,  idea or concept.  I have never heard either make statements to that fact.

She just says it cuz she thinks it applied to her line.  Nothing wrong with that.

@RespectLife 

She goes beyond just applying it to her line. She has a big old story about how she got out all her mom's cook and bake ware, how challenging it was to prep in one, cook in another, store in yet another.......and just knew there had to be a better solution. And she found it with creating Temp-tations. 

She most likely found it by looking back at what had already done those things for decades, and put a less effective (but prettier) spin on it doing it in stoneware. And she wasn't the first to do it in stoneware either.

And if  you want better freezer fridge storage with your Corningware, have you seen the plastic lids that fit all the corningware pieces. You can get them at a Corningware outlet store, or they can be ordered from Corningware online. They are super well made and I have tons of them, for every square size made. I haven't see them for some of the odd pieces. 

Stovetop Pyroceram 5L Plastic Lid

These things are really tough, and fit tight (not so you can call it air tight/water tight though). Great for stacking in the fridge and freezer, and saves a ton of transferring into other containers, and all that cleanup.

Respected Contributor

I have those plastic lids for all my corningware pieces and use them all the time. I don't remember the name of my pattern - I've had it for 30 years - but you can see it in the back of the bottom shelf in the picture. And don't forget, you can cook on the top of the stove if you want to. 

IMG_20190416_135048.jpg