Respected Contributor

Ever make Georgia Cornbread?? It has no cornmeal in it, just had some for the first time......

It is served as a dessert. I went online and found a recipe.

Georgia Cornbread

1 c brown sugar

1 c white sugar

4 eggs, beaten

1 c vegetable oil

1 1/2 c self-rising flour

1 t vanilla

2 c pecans, chopped very fine

Preheat oven to 350*, lightly grease and flour a 9 by 13 in. pan.

Stir together sugar, brown sugar and eggs til smooth. Stir in flour and vanilla, add pecans and stir until evenly mixed.

Spoon into the pan and bake for 30-35 minutes.

Respected Contributor

Re: Ever make Georgia Cornbread?? It has no cornmeal in it, just had some for the first time......

Mouth-watering. I'm going for it. Having my GFs over next week. Will serve with coffee for after-dinner dessert. Thanks!

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

Re: Ever make Georgia Cornbread?? It has no cornmeal in it, just had some for the first time......

It sounds good, and I'd make it, but I would give it another name. That is like serving a steak and calling it bread pudding. I don't see the point of the name, but the dish sounds good.

Honored Contributor

This is very close to the recipe I use to make scones, but the scones have butter in them.

Super Contributor

Yes, and our local diner has it on the menu.

Honored Contributor

Interesting. I don't understand the name either. Seems more like some sort of cake. Furthermore, that's a LOT of sugar!

I do (ducking from Sooner) put a little bit of sugar in my actual cornbread, but it's like 1/4c or something like that. Must have cornmeal for it to be cornbread, methinks. Smiley Happy

Super Contributor

Doesn't sound like cornbread to me either, but it sounds delicious. However, all that sugar would stop me from making it...or maybe rarely as a treat. Would be delicious after dinner with tea or coffee...or as a "coffee cake" in the morning. I do get the "Georgia" part due to the pecans.

I add some sugar to my cornbread too if we are just having it with dinner or for breakfast. Sometimes I make it with bacon or peppers though, and then no sugar is necessary.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion
Honored Contributor

Ooh, I like bacon in mine too. I still put the bit of sugar in because, IMO, it kind of neutralizes the acrid taste of the flours and baking powder/soda (whichever).

But I like to add some bacon (I cook it first and cut it into lardons AFTER it's cooked) and some extra sharp cheddar that I shred. Yum. Now I want cornbread and I'm still pretty much on a liquid diet. Smiley Sad wahhh

Super Contributor

I think the name is just a clever 'riff' on the idea of cornbread, and a suggestion that Georgians may like their pecan dessert the way others in the South like cornbread. I don't know, but that seems to me to be a likely explanation. It looks delicious.

Super Contributor

On 1/15/2015 chickenbutt said:

Ooh, I like bacon in mine too. I still put the bit of sugar in because, IMO, it kind of neutralizes the acrid taste of the flours and baking powder/soda (whichever).

But I like to add some bacon (I cook it first and cut it into lardons AFTER it's cooked) and some extra sharp cheddar that I shred. Yum. Now I want cornbread and I'm still pretty much on a liquid diet. Smiley Sad wahhh

Oh, definitely! I put the little bit of sugar in that the recipe calls for, but if I make it for breakfast, I add more sugar as I want it sweeter. Can't escape my sweet tooth! Extra sharp cheddar, huh? Gotta try that!

I ate at a Golden Corral recently, and they had a corn pudding that was awesome...sort of a corn bread with whole kernel sweet corn and probably cream-style corn in it. Mmmm.

Some people do drugs. I do shoes....Celine Dion